Why Consider the University of San Francisco?
USF prides itself on its inclusive community of engaged learners. Whether you attend the University of San Francisco online or on campus, you receive the same diploma and access to USF resources and reputation.
Awards and Recognition
- USF was listed as a Tier One National University in the 2017 U.S. News & World Report.
- In 2015, the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching renewed USF’s classification for 10 years as a community engaged institution in both possible categories: curriculum engagement, and outreach and partnership
- Forbes Magazine ranked USF 19th on its 2015 list of the nation’s most entrepreneurial universities
- For the eighth consecutive year, USF was named to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll by the Corporation for National and Community Service (2015-2016)
- In 2016, the Washington Monthly ranked USF as 30th out of 297 national universities in service due to the many ways the school encouraged its students to give something back to their communities
Online Program Model: Flexible
University of San Francisco online masters programs are adapted from their campus counterparts to give today’s busy professionals added flexibility. Classes make use of current online learning system technologies to deliver dynamic lessons.
Student Support Services
USF offers a wide range of student support services for both the campus and the online student.
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) and CAPS Online
- Career Services Center and Career Center Online
- Gleeson Library and Gleeson Library Online
- Student Disability Services and Student Disability Services Online
Services and Programs for Service Members and Veterans
USF is a dedicated point of contact for support services for veterans, military service members, and their families.i
- Recognized student veteran organizationi
- The University of San Francisco has signed the VA's 'Principles of Excellence'i
- Yellow Ribbon Programi
- Credit for military training for qualifiedi
University of San Francisco Accreditation
University of San Francisco is regionally accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC). On top of this, the university is accredited by several professional agencies.
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business - International (AACSB)
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
- International Association of Counseling Services (IACS)
- National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration (NASPAA)
- State Bar of California (CALBAR)
- State of California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC.CA)
USF Academics and Degree Programs
At the University of San Francisco, students have a choice of programs, and often, of locations and formats. Graduate programs are offered in Arts & Sciences, Management, Education, Law, Nursing and Health Professions.
USF has campuses throughout California. Some programs may be available only at one campus, while others may be offered in multiple locations. One of the programs offered on several campuses is the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degree. In conjunction with the degree, several preliminary teaching credentials are offered.
- Preliminary Multiple Subject Credential with an optional Bilingual Authorization in Spanish | 36-40 credits
- Preliminary Single Subject Credential with an optional Bilingual Authorization in Spanish | 34-38 credits
Online programs allow students to attend USF from anywhere, and on a schedule that works for them. Some of the online masters programs that are offered include the Master of Public Health, Master of Science in Healthcare Simulation, Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) and the Master of Public Administration. These may also be offered with a campus counterpart.
Program Highlights: Online Master of Public Administration (MPA) Degree
Do you want to develop an ability to navigate the juncture of public, private and non-profit sectors? USF’s Master of Public Administration (MPA) degree is available both on campus and in a 100% online format.
Course of Study
Typical MPA program length is 21 months. While the on-campus MPA is a 38 credit (4 credits per course) model, the online MPA requires 39 credits. This translates to 13 courses of 3 credits each. The required courses follow a sequence. Some of these are listed below.
- Leadership Ethics
- Human Resource Planning and Management
- Policy Analysis
- Strategic Management of Public communication
- Public Sector Budgeting
Health Services Administration Concentration
Students may also tailor their MPA degree to mirror a strong interest in health services administration (HSA). The HSA emphasis may provide the skills and knowledge to plan, organize, manage and evaluate public and personal health programs and policy.
The online MPA is designed to prepare students to be effective and ethical leaders. Through quantitative research and course work, learners may have a handle on how to resolve, collect and analyze data that might be used to implement public service strategies.
Ranked #115 in Public Affairs by U.S. News & World Report in 2016
Program Highlights: Master of Science in Analytics
Are you drawn to data science, computational techniques and mathematics? USF offers a one-year Master of Science in Analytics (MSAN) program.
Analytics Boot Camp
The program starts with ‘Analytics Boot Camp’. The boot camp is an intensive introduction to, and review of, the basic knowledge and skills required for complex business analysts and data scientists. Students will take two out of three intensive courses in probability and statistics, computation for analytics, and linear algebra. In addition, all students take a course in exploratory data analysis. This last course serves as the program’s formal introduction to the R programming language.
Course of Study
After boot camp, the MSAN course of study features seven-week courses designed exclusively for students of the program. These are called modules. Courses in the first module are listed below.
- Linear Regression Analysis
- Relational Databases
- Business Communications for Analytics
- Data Acquisition
Practicum projects allow students to work an average of 10-15 hours per week for nine months. During this time, they tackle data science problems at companies around the San Francisco Bay Area and beyond. Students in the 2016-2017 cohort work with companies including Williams-Sonoma, Eventbrite, Salesforce, Mozilla, UCSF, Capital One, Turo, The Houston Astros, and Summit Public Schools, among others.
MSAN classes are commonly held Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m., with 3-4 classes running simultaneously each module (half a semester). One to two days per week are devoted to practicum work, which begins mid-October. This may be subject to change.
Specific Application Requisites
Applicants who hold a bachelors degree in any field and have fulfilled the MS Analytics requirements that follow are considered for admission. Applicants with academic or professional backgrounds in math, computer science, engineering, finance, economics or equivalent skills are encouraged to apply.
Future MSAN students must have completed the courses listed below at an accredited university or college prior to their program start date.
- Inferential Statistics
- Linear Algebra
- A social science course
- Computer Programming - Java, Mathematica, Matlab, Python or C++:
- Ability to write structured programs in a high-level language (for example: objects, methods, functions)
- Ability to read/write data from files
- Facility with the three basic control structures (block, conditional, iteration)
- Understanding of variables and data types (int, float, string, boolean)
- Familiarity with basic data structures (list, dictionary, stack, queue)
Choose a Program at the University of San Francisco
Read more about USF programs as you scroll the sponsored lists below. Compare your options. Then, fill out and submit the on-page form to contact the school for more information. It is super simple to take that next step now!
School Headquarters: University of San Francisco, 2130 Fulton St, San Francisco, California 94117-1080