MA Clinical Mental Health Counseling
Begin Your Journey Toward Becoming a Counselor with your Online Master’s in Counseling
Answer the call to improve mental health when you earn your online Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling from Southern New Hampshire University. Develop relationship skills that allow clients to find comfort in your guidance as you lead them on the path back to wellness. Learn the helping skills to be able to effectively work with clients experiencing a range of emotional and behavioral problems, from issues in child development to trauma, addiction and major mental illness.
Our 60-credit online master's in counseling includes two required face-to-face residencies that help strengthen your skills in the workforce. And because the program is designed to lead you on the path to licensure as a clinical mental health counselor, it is aligned to meet the standards of the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP). SNHU's MA in Clinical Mental Health Counseling is currently not accredited by CACREP.
Throughout our online master's in counseling program, you'll:
- Develop a professional counseling identity in alignment with ethical and legal standards that advocates on behalf of the profession and promotes client access, equity and success
- Cultivate socially, culturally and spiritually appropriate skills and practices in professional counseling that promote social justice and minimize barriers between counselors and clients
- Apply theories and etiology of human growth and development and relevant environmental factors to promote optimum wellness for diverse clients across the lifespan
- Develop strategies for supporting and advocating for clients in relation to their career development based on client needs, industry information and identified opportunities within the global economy
- Utilize appropriate counseling theories, models and culturally relevant strategies in developing professional skills for client consultation, treatment, intervention and prevention
- Determine and implement appropriate strategies for effectively forming and facilitating group counseling and group work in a variety of settings with a diverse range of clients
- Assess the needs of counseling clients validly and reliably through the application of basic testing principles, key statistical concepts and industry-appropriate procedures
- Evaluate counseling research, programs and practices using a variety of methods and designs for advancing the counseling profession and incorporating evidence-based, data-driven approaches into current practice
- Apply culturally relevant strategies, techniques, theories and models of clinical mental health counseling to the assessment and treatment planning of mental health issues, adhering to the legal and ethical standards of clinical and mental healthcare professionals
New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Commission on Institutions of Higher Education
Facts & Figures
Classification: Master's College or University II
Loans Offered: Loans may be available. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). SNHU’s FAFSA code is 002580.
Size & Settings: 0-999