The Path to a better future is right in front of you
1425 W. Lincoln Hwy
Dekalb, IL 60115
Online BSN to Doctor of Nursing Practice
B.S. in Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice (D.N.P.)
Save time and money by diving right into earning your D.N.P. at Northern Illinois University. Through this practice-based program, you’ll gain the hands-on experience and expertise to lead in specialized advanced nursing practice and research. Learn to formulate and implement patient care plans, applying credible research findings to innovate and enhance care.
• Credits Required: 76 credit hours.
• Cost Per Credit Hour: $720 per credit hour.
• Time to Completion: Full-time students can complete their degree in as few as four years. The maximum time to completion is 10 years.
• Program Modality: Coursework is online and the program has occasional, prearranged campus meetings.
• Accreditation: Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
• Hands-on Experience: Apply your knowledge immediately with an in-person practicum at a health care facility near you. Having trouble finding one? We can help place you.
• Fast-track Your Career: Skipping the master’s degree and earning your D.N.P. can save you time and earn you up to $9,000 more annually than those in similar positions with a master’s degree.1
Earning your D.N.P. degree prepares you for nursing roles including:
• Nurse Practitioner: $110,930 median annual salary.2
• Nurse Educator: $73,503 average annual salary.3
• Nurse Administrator: $84,593 average annual salary.4
Our online B.S. in Nursing to D.N.P. has the following admissions requirements:
• Current Illinois RN license.
• Official transcripts.
• A bachelor’s degree in nursing from an accredited program.
• A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 in the last 60 hours of your bachelor’s program.
• A professional goal statement.
• Three professional letters of reference.
1Yox, S. B., RN, Ed.D., Stokowski, L. A., RN, M.S., McBride, M., & Berry, E. (Dec. 13, 2016). Medscape Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) Salary Report 2016 (Rep.). Retrieved Jan. 31, 2019, from https://www.medscape.com/features/slideshow/aprn-salary-report
2Bureau of Labor Statistics. (April 13, 2018). Nurse Anesthetists, Nurse Midwives, and Nurse Practitioners. Retrieved Jan. 31, 2019, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/nurse-anesthetists-nurse-midwives-and-nurse-practitioners.htm
3Payscale. (n.d.) Average Nurse Educator Salary. Retrieved Jan. 31, 2019, from
4Payscale (n.d.) Average Nurse Administrator Salary. Retrieved Jan. 31, 2019, from
Classification: Doctoral/Research University—Extensive
Locale: Small Suburb
Size & Settings: 20,000-39,999