The Path to a better future is right in front of you
School of Social Work
820 N. Michigan Ave
Lewis Towers Suite 1200
Chicago, IL 60611
Master of Arts in Public Service Leadership
The Master of Arts in Public Service Leadership (MAPSL) program is designed to educate justice sensitive leaders who will mitigate complex societal issues and lead to serve our communities. Preparing for careers of the future in local, state, federal, and international agencies is the focus of the MAPSL program.
With a mix of knowledge, values, and skills drawn from an inter-professional, interdisciplinary approach, the program will prepare future humanistic leaders to collaboratively find solutions to problems. This MAPSL program places specific emphasis on leadership in public service through governmental, non-profit, and human service organizations.
The MA in Public Service Leadership is a 30 total credit hour, fully online program.
The program offers four career tracks, each requiring 12 credit hours:
• Civic and Political Engagement and Communication
• International Social Development
• Social Impact Management and Measurement
The degree offers full-time enrollment. Average time to completion (full-time): 1 year
EXPECTATIONS AFTER GRADUATION
Our diverse graduates become outstanding leaders who provide ethical, workable solutions to societal needs and advance justice in fields such as:
• Medical and Health Services
• Social and Community Service
• Emergency Management
This degree will allow you to move between disparate but overlapping sectors, rather than have expertise at only one. The knowledge, values, and skills attained with this degree are adaptable to a variety of organizations across the spectrum of social care needs of society.
MAPSL graduates will be prepared to:
• Apply ethical reasoning to administrative design and decision-making in the context of public service leadership in an ever changing context of practice
• Demonstrate critical thinking, research, and communication skills as applied to the public and human service sectors
• Demonstrate professional behavior in terms of demeanor, personal presentation, ethics, and civic participation
• Demonstrate excellent oral and written communication and demonstrate the use of technology to interact with various stakeholders
• Article the role of diversity, inclusion and equity in providing leadership
Our faculty and instructors have a wide variety of practice and policy based interests. Courses are taught from an interdisciplinary perspective, bringing experts in the areas of public service leadership, community engagement, communications, social development and disaster management to the online learning environment.
• Completed application form
• Bachelor’s degree with a GPA of 3.0
• Two professional references and/or interview
• 500-word statement of purpose
Begin the financial aid process by completing your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Classification: Doctoral/Research University—Extensive
Locale: Large City
Size & Settings: 10,000-19,999