Master of Education in Alternative Education
The 100% Online Alternative Education prepares educators for work with at-risk children and youth. Lock Haven University is a national leader in our work with alternative, correctional, urban, and regular education professionals who want to focus on at-risk issues.
The number of at-risk children and youth continues to grow, yet few programs in the nation offer the opportunity to build the critical skill and knowledge base necessary to effectively work with this population of students. Our M.Ed. Alternative Education program is nationally accredited, rigorous, and, most importantly, highly relevant to your daily work with students. The M.Ed. Alternative Education program makes it possible for education professionals to engage in reflective practice while improving teaching and program development skills. The program encourages exploration of methods, research, and theories that focus on the learner and systemic changes that will benefit all students.
Courses are arranged within the curriculum so that foundational courses are presented first. Scaffolding the curriculum permits students to continuously build upon previously acquired knowledge and skills. The curriculum allows for breadth and depth through this approach, which includes a 18-credit core and a 9-credit elective category. Breadth and depth are enhanced through electives that permit highly motivated students to investigate areas including but not limited to corrections education, learning theory, advanced curriculum issues, character education, analysis of teaching, and school to work.
Alternative Education professionals must be among the most highly skilled and innovative educators.
By completing the Master of Education in Alternative Education degree, you will be better prepared to:
• Work with the most challenging of students in a school district or other setting.
• Develop methods for working with students to create a safe and challenging learning environment that focuses on teaching and learning.
• Assess the needs of students.
• Develop and implement plans to meet student-learner needs.
• Work with students across many academic and developmental levels by differentiating curriculum.
• Understand the relationship between theories and practice in working with at-risk students.
• Implement innovative curriculum approaches that address issues such as state standards.
• Understand and work with specialized educational needs, emotional needs and problems, motivational difficulties, learning style differences, disruptive behaviors, and conduct disorders.
• Develop an effective program including best practices for your school.
Accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
Aligned with the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards.
International Student Requirements:
A certified copy of all educational credentials from any secondary or post secondary institutions must be submitted. A certified literal translation must be submitted with all documents.
All non-native speakers of English are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) administered by the Education Testing Service. A minimum score of 213 (computer-based), 79-80 (internet-based) or 550 (paper-based) is required.
NOTE: Because this program is entirely online, international students may not be eligible to receive a students visa.
Facts & Figures
Financial Aid: Yes
International Financial Aid: Yes
# of Credits Required: 36
Average Cost per Credit (Graduate): $429 In-state, $644 Out of State USD
Classification: Master's College or University II
Locale: Fringe Town
Size & Settings: 3,000-5,999