Earn your Master of Science in Criminal Justice degree online
Boost your law enforcement or criminal justice career to the next level with Lamar University’s 100% online Master of Criminal Justice degree program. This program gives you the depth and breadth of knowledge in law enforcement you need to pursue upper-level positions in criminal justice. Designed for professionals who want to progress to careers in the FBI, CIA or other federal security agencies, the M.S. in Criminal Justice program focuses on both practical skills and theoretical knowledge.”
Top Reasons to Enroll
- 100% online – flexible for your busy schedule
- Affordable tuition with financial aid options
- Multiple start dates
- Complete degree in as few as 18 months
In the Master of Science in Criminal Justice online degree program, you will:
- Gain an understanding of analytical tools, planning and evaluation, correctional issues, homeland security, police and constitutional law, ethics and criminal justice leadership
- Explore the criminal justice system and policy, and theoretical approaches to the understanding of crime and delinquency
- Emerge fully prepared for upper-level staff, administrative, management, treatment and planning positions in criminal justice agencies.
- Develop planning, evaluation and leadership skills specific to criminal justice professions
- Complete online application and pay a one-time application fee of $25.
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university in criminal justice, criminology, sociology or the equivalent. Students with undergraduate degrees in other field but with substantial work experience in criminal/juvenile justice may be admitted with special approval. Those without substantial work experience and with undergraduate degrees in other field may be admitted after taking specified undergraduate courses.
- GPA Requirements:
- Those with a GPA of 3.00 or higher on their last 60 Undergraduate hours will be admitted unconditionally.
- Those with a GPA of 2.50-2.99 on their last 60 Undergraduate hours will be admitted provisionally and must maintain minimum grades of "B" in nine hours of CRIJ courses.
- Those with a GPA of 2.49 or below on their last 60 Undergraduate hours must meet Lamar University's Graduate admissions formula with the GRE and GPA:
- GRE taken before August 2011: Undergraduate GPA (or last 60 hours, whichever is higher) x 200 + (GRE Verbal + GRE quantitative) =/or greater than 1350.
- GRE taken after August 2011: Undergraduate GPA (or last 60 hours, whichever is higher) x 50 + GRE Verbal + GRE quantitative =/or greater than 428.
- Satisfactory completion of at least one statistics course and one social science research course.
Applicants who do not meet all admission requirements may enter as pre-graduate, pending full admission to the program. Under Pre Graduate status, the student must make up all deficiencies and earn at least a "B" average. No more than 6 hours of graduate credit may be earned prior to full admission.
Students may transfer in up to 6 hours of approved courses for this degree.
Awards & Accolades
- Ranked No. 6 in the nation for the least amount of student debt upon graduation by U.S. News & World Report
- Lamar University’s online programs are recognized as among the best in the nation by U.S. News & World Report Best Online Programs rankings
- Lamar University has been dubbed one of the most ethnically and economically diverse universities in the nation by
- Named a 2015 Military Friendly® School for going above and beyond to provide transitioning veterans the best possible experience in higher education by G.I. Jobs
Accreditation:Lamar University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC™) to award associate, bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees.
Facts & Figures
Classification: Master's College or University I
Locale: Midsize City
Size & Settings: 10,000-19,999