School counselors have a unique opportunity to contribute to the growth and development of young people. If you’re ready to help students through counseling, Gwynedd Mercy University offers an online Master of Science in School Counseling (MSSC).
Our Master of Science in School Counseling is aligned with the American School Counselors Association (ASCA) National Model. The program is suitable for professionals who want to pursue a PreK-12 School Counseling certification.
Core Counseling Knowledge for Primary and Secondary Schools
Our online master’s in school counseling teaches you the theoretical background and practical strategies you need to know to help young people through established counseling techniques. You’ll also have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in supervised practicum settings.
The program is structured into three segments:
- Core Educational Knowledge (12 credits)
- Core Counseling Knowledge (30 credits)
- A School Counseling Practicum in Elementary School, Secondary School, or both (9 Credits)
Course topics in the program cover:
- Human development
- Individual and group counseling
- Effective communication
- Assessment and intervention strategies
- Research skills for reflective practice
- Social justice advocacy and leadership
Successful graduates of the program should have the theoretical knowledge and practical skills needed to earn their certification.
Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, Middle States Commission on Higher Education