Grand Canyon University
3300 W Camelback Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85017
M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Health Psychology
Focus Your Psychology Knowledge with a Health Psychology Master of Science
Health psychology is a multidisciplinary specialization that explores the intersection of biological, social and psychological factors, and their effects on health, wellness and illness. The Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Health Psychology degree program at Grand Canyon University prepares future health psychologists to support individuals in their quest for a physically, mentally and cognitively healthy lifestyle. Examine the interrelationships of body, mind and spirit as you learn to enrich the lives of those around you.
Offered by the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, this health psychology master’s degree enables students to become competent in current theories, statistics and data analysis. Learn to apply research-based interventions to inspire health behavior changes in diverse communities. Examine the whole-person approach to healthcare as you study what motivates people to make health-related decisions, how people recover from illnesses and how they cope with chronic conditions.
Discover a Hands-On Approach to Helping Others Through Health
GCU seeks to graduate students who are skilled communicators and inspired servant leaders. Students are encouraged to apply the Christian perspective to their coursework. There is an emphasis on moral considerations in theory and application, and students are guided in acquiring an ethical framework for professional practice.
This MS in health psychology graduate program equips students to understand the many factors that influence individual and societal health, and to understand how to change those health profiles. Graduates will understand how to design and implement policies and programs intended to inspire positive lifestyle modifications. In courses such as Future of Health Psychology, Promotion of Health Behaviors and Community Health, students acquire the following core competencies:
- The promotion of health behaviors at the individual and community level, with a focus on prevention programs and the utilization of media
- The implementation of community-wide change through intervention, prevention and program evaluation
- Current public policy, and the issues and controversies that affect the health psychology field
- The lifestyle factors that promote health and wellness across the lifespan
Students completing the master’s in health psychology online or on campus at GCU are required to complete the Professional Capstone. Students explore and present their original research ideas. They also examine health psychology occupations and prepare to enter the field.
Explore Health and Nutrition Wellness Careers for Graduates with an MS in Health Psychology
Graduates with a degree in health psychology are sought after for their expertise in the interrelated nature of the body, mind and spirit. GCU graduates will be prepared to pursue rewarding positions across a range of settings, including hospitals, universities, government agencies, nonprofit entities and private corporations. Some graduates may choose to pursue a research-based position. Examples of what qualified health psychologists may do include:
- Community health psychology—study the health profile of whole communities and explore risk factors in disease prevalence
- Occupational health psychology—work with corporations to influence workplace policies that encourage the physical, mental and spiritual health of employees
- Public health psychology—work within public and governmental health programs to influence public health policies or implement public health awareness campaigns
- Clinical health psychology—help clients understand how behavior and lifestyle choices affect overall health and how to overcome lifestyle issues
To further enhance their career qualifications, graduates with a health psychology Master of Science degree may choose to pursue a doctoral degree.
Classification: Master's College or University I
Loans Offered: Perkins Loan, Stafford Student Loans, PLUS Loans, Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership (LEAP) State Grant, Arizona Post-Secondary Education Voucher Program State Grant, Federal Pell Grant, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
Locale: Large City
Size & Settings: 0-999