The Path to a better future is right in front of you
2121 I Street
Washington, DC 20052
MSHS in Immunohematology and Biotechnology
Online MSHS in Immunohematology and Biotechnology
The online MSHS in Immunohematology and Biotechnology program from the George Washington University prepares individuals for leadership positions in blood banking or transfusion medicine. Applicants to the non-clinical online program should hold national certification as a Medical Technologist (MT), Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS), a Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) or Blood Banking Technologist/ Specialist. In GW’s online program, you’ll learn the most up-to-date research in molecular biology and biotechnologies essential to the practice of transfusion medicine.
• Modality: 100% online with an on-site, mentored, clinical research practicum
• Total Credits: 35
• Courses: 13
• Time to Complete: 2 years (part-time)
• Residency requirement: No on-campus residency
MSHS IN IMMUNOHEMATOLOGY AND BIOTECHNOLOGY HIGHLIGHTS
• Immunohematology Focus: Go beyond conventional lab methods and study molecular biology and biotechnologies, which are becoming essential in all laboratory medicine areas.
• Practice-Based Faculty: Learn alongside expert faculty who have researched biothreat agent characterization, cancer biology and cell signaling, and pharmacology and physiology of blood platelets.
• Flexibility and Convenience: Balance your personal and professional commitments with a flexible online schedule that fits your life.
• Strategic Leadership Focus: Understand the intricacies of managing and leading a business unit by developing an integrated strategic plan and honing your critical-thinking skills.
• Real-World Experience: Learn by doing in a hands-on clinical research practicum that not only allows you to apply your knowledge, but expand on your own leadership skills through mentorship.
Graduates of this program gain the skills and experience necessary to pursue a variety of career options including:
• Biotechnology or Government Research Associate
• Blood Banking Laboratory Supervisor/Manager
• Blood Bank Laboratory Manager
• Transfusion Medicine or Molecular Biology Scientist
The Office of Student Financial Services is committed to providing students and their families with the information they need to navigate and understand the financial aid process.
FAFSA Federal ID: 001444
MINIMUM ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
• GPA of 3.0
• Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
• 16 credits of biology, 16 credits of chemistry, 3 credits of college algebra or higher at a grade of C or higher
• National certification as a Medical Technologist, Clinical Laboratory Scientist, Medical Laboratory Scientist or Technologist in Blood Banking or Specialist in Blood Banking.
• For international students, submit your official score of one of the following exams:
o Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
o International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
o Pearson Test of English (PTE)
Classification: Doctoral/Research University—Extensive
Loans Offered: The Office of Student Financial Assistance offers financial aid in the form of Federal Stafford Loans and alternative loans to graduate students seeking to finance their graduate educations.
Locale: Large City