Gardner-Webb University

Gayle Bolt Price School of Graduate Studies

Online MA in English



Program Information

Degrees Offered:

M.A. in English

Format: Online

Program Description:

The English Language and Literature Department has offered an MA in English and MA in English Education on its Boiling Springs campus for over a decade. The department is excited to now offer a solely online program that pools together the strengths of both previous programs as well as expanding in new areas of English Studies. Whether you are a budding scholar or an experienced professional, we invite you to consider a Master of Arts in English with concentrations in literature studies, English education, and writing studies. Purpose The revised, online MA English program will offer three concentrations that reflect the diversity of the discipline and the evolving nature of English studies. With concentrations in literature studies, English education, and writing studies, this degree is for students who want professional advancement in areas such as writing, publishing, and teaching at the secondary or college levels. While these concentrations represent different disciplines within the field, the overall program goal is for students to develop a scholarly and professional identity. These goals reflect the growing professional demand for strong skills in communication, analysis, critical thinking, and collaboration.


Gardner-Webb University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. The Education program is accredited by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).

International Student Requirements:

1. TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 500-paper based test, 173 min.-computer based, or 61 min.-internet based. 2. WES - (Evaluation of Foreign Educational Credentials) - All Transcripts from institutions outside U.S. must be submitted to WES 3. VISA/ PASSPORT - F1 student visa or H1B work/employment visa. -Permanent Residents need to supply a copy of their permanent residency card International applicants planning to immigrate to the U.S.A., submit the following: 4. Documents to Support Sponsor Financial Responsibility-Copy of most recent Bank Statement and one of the following: Recent tax return OR copies of the Last 3 pay stubs. 5. I-20 Request Form 6. International Student Transfer Form (if coming from another U.S. institution, a copy of your I-94 and I-20 are required)

Facts & Figures

Financial Aid: Yes

International Financial Aid: Yes

# of Credits Required: 30

Average Cost per Credit (Graduate): $355 USD

Classification: Master's College or University I

Locale: Fringe Rural Area

Size & Settings: 3,000-5,999

Find Schools