Emporia State University
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
M.A.- History (thesis or non-thesis)
The MA degree in History is designed for the History student intending to continue on for Ph.D. work in History, for the secondary teacher who desires to take graduate work concentrating in the content area of History, and for the History student intending to pursue a career in public history. Other students also may find the program suitable, depending on their individual aspirations.
- bachelor’s degree with overall GPA of 3.0;
- at least 12 hours of coursework in history, with 3.0 GPA in these courses;
- writing sample deemed “Satisfactory” by Graduate Committee.
- Applicants for the MA program in History must submit to the Graduate School:
- a completed application form;
- a 1- to 2-page statement of purpose;
- 2 letters of recommendation from college instructors or employers addressing the applicant’s aptitude for graduate study;
- thesis, non-thesis, or public history option: a writing sample;
- social sciences education option: a sample lesson plan.
Accreditation:Higher Learning Commission North Central Association
International Student Requirements:For international student admissions, please visit our International Education web site.
Facts & Figures
Financial Aid: Yes
International Financial Aid: Yes
# of Credits Required: 39 thesis; 42 non-th
Classification: Master's College or University I
Locale: Remote Town
Size & Settings: 6,000-9,999