M.S.- Early Childhood Education
The graduate program in Early Childhood Education is designed to prepare teachers to work effectively with young children in regular early childhood settings as well as teachers working with young children in early childhood special education settings. There is an emphasis on early intervention and serving families with infants with special needs. The Master of Science degree in Early Childhood Education may result in the Kansas License ECU Birth through age 8 or the Kansas License ECU Birth to Kindergarten. The candidate must have a degree in elementary education as an admission requirement for the ECU Birth through age 8 license. The ECU license Birth to Kindergarten does not require a degree in elementary education as an admission requirement but does require a degree in a related field.
In addition to the requirements of the Graduate School, a formal letter, with admission requirement material, will be mailed to you. All candidates are admitted on a probationary status, pending successful completion of these admission requirements:
(Admission points are earned based on each item.)
• GPA (a minimum of 3.00 on last 60 undergraduate hours)
• Two references and two Advanced Candidate Assessment of Dispositions completed by supervising administrators
• Signed disclosure form
• Admissions essay:
• Describe your critical thinking and beliefs about the following issues in early childhood education.
• The need for high expectations in the learning setting while respecting the individual
differences of all learners.
• The importance of forming alliances with families in the education process.
• Discussion of professionalism and ethical standards for the teacher of young children.
• Signed acceptance of required professional dispositions
All materials are due February 15 for summer enrollment, June 1 for fall enrollment or September 1 for spring enrollment.
The M.S. in Early Childhood Education is accredited by NCATE and the Higher Learning Commission.
International Student Requirements:
For international student admissions, please visit our International Education web site.
Facts & Figures
Financial Aid: Yes
International Financial Aid: Yes
# of Credits Required: 36
Classification: Master's College or University I
Locale: Remote Town
Size & Settings: 6,000-9,999