Master of Arts in International Studies
Concordia University, located in Southern California, is an accredited Christian university offering a Master of Arts in International Studies (MAIS) degree with concentrations in International Business, International Education, and International Development alongside a 10 or 12-month salaried teaching contract in the People's Republic of China.
This unique program offers you the opportunity to:
- Study, research and gain first-hand experience in the political, economic, cultural and social life of contemporary China.
- Explore the strategic opportunities in one of the world's largest and fastest growing economies.
- Develop meaningful relationships with Chinese business leaders, educators, professionals and community members.
- Influence and impact the lives of a generation of young people in China.
- Acquire practical knowledge of educational, business and sustainable development contexts and practices, providers and clients, products and services, strategies and obstacles.
- Receive a graduate education with a year-long stay in China.
Program at a glance:
- Academic degree program (MA degree) with Concordia University Irvine -Concurrent China employment with full benefits (teaching English or teaching a subject of your strength in English)
- Cities to work at in China: Shanghai, Hangzhou, Kunming and their nearby cities
- Supervision and support from our representative office in China
- Three concentrations to choose from: International Business, International Education and International Development
- Accelerated program: 12-18 months to complete
- One summer semester on US campus, with the rest of the semesters in China
- TESOL certificate awarded before going to China
- Dual MAIS/MBA degree program available upon additional request
- No prior Mandarin language skills required (proficient Mandarin-speaking applicants will benefit by opting out of the Mandarin course, though)
- Cohort-based program that starts every June
- Networking opportunities and more
- Field thesis research in China
- No GRE/GMAT required
- Intensive Mandarin learning opportunity available upon request
- China Employment Benefits:
- Monthly salary (amount dependent upon qualifications and placement)
- Housing or housing allowance
- Legal work visa in China
- Reimbursement of round-trip economy class air ticket (China-US)
What do you do with your M.A. degree:
- Doctoral/advanced professional studies
- NPB/NGP Work • US Foreign Service
- Mediation/conflict Resolution
- International Education
- Corporate & Workplace Training
- Global Marketing & Consulting
- Multinational Import& Export
- Entrepreneurial Ventures
- Early deadline: December 1st
- Regular deadline: March 1st
- ($50/$150 application fee US/Int’l)
Concordia University is accredited by Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
International Student Requirements:
Hold a bachelor’s degree;
• Have a minimum 2.75 GPA
• Are native English speakers or equivalent
• Desire to teach in a new cultural settings
• Are prepared to learn, serve, and lead
• Posses cultural sensitivity, responsibility, diligence, resilience, independence, and ethical character
Facts & Figures
Financial Aid: Yes
International Financial Aid: Yes
# of Credits Required: 38
Average Cost per Credit (Graduate): $635 USD
Classification: Master's College or University II
Locale: Midsize City
Size & Settings: 1,000-2,999