California Southern University Online is located in Costa Mesa, California, approximately 40 miles southeast of Los Angeles in Orange County. Because of the school’s proximity to Irvine, the school is sometimes referred to as California Southern University Irvine.
Some University History
Not to be confused with California Southern College, Southern California University began its operation in 1978 and offers degrees at all levels and certificates entirely online. It is a private, for-profit institution.i
Since California Southern University’s inception, it has focused on providing quality programs to non-traditional students, especially working adults. As such, it offers monthly start dates and flexible schedules to accommodate working professionals.
While all of its programs are offered entirely online, some programs offer options for students to attend courses on campus, in person.i
Get to Know California Southern University
Whether attending on-campus courses or not, California Southern University invites prospective and current students to visit its facilities in Costa Mesa to meet faculty, talk to advisors, and get a better sense of the school.
The current president of California Southern University is Dr. Donald Hecht, the founder of the school. His office strives to make education accessible, useful, and practical.ii
What Makes California Southern University Unique
California Southern University was one of the country’s first correspondence schools, enabling students to use available technology to attend classes as conveniently as possible. As technology evolved, so too did the school, and now California Southern University offers everything through a highly specialized digital platform.iii
To maintain the personal touch and connection of on-campus education, California Southern University gives students one-to-one faculty mentoring, a benefit it has offered since its beginning. Through the 1990s and 2000s, the school has focused its efforts on providing education in a few core subjects, enabling it to focus its intentions on developing high quality programs.iii
California Southern University Ranking
California Southern University is currently not ranked by U.S. News. We can, however, give you some of the school’s key performance indicators.
In terms of California Southern University reviews, in response to the school’s 2017 Institutional Effectiveness Survey, students reported the following:iv
- 96% of learners at California Southern University achieved the goal they set for their course or program
- 97% of learners said they were satisfied with their studies
- 97% of learners said they would recommend California Southern University to a friend
Graduates by the Numbers
In terms of the school’s graduation rates, California Southern University reported the following in 2017:iv
- Southern California Southern University’s School of Behavioral Sciences graduate rates were 63 percent for the Master of Science in Psychology, 39 percent for the Master of Arts in Psychology, and 42 percent for the Doctorate of Psychology
- The School of Business’ graduation rates were 42 percent for the M.B.A. and 38 percent for the D.B.A. The School of Law’s graduation rates were 41 percent for the Master of Laws and 33 percent for the Juris Doctorate.
- The School of Criminal Justice’s graduation rate was 64 percent for the Master’s Degree Law Enforcement Executive Leadership.
California Southern University Accreditation
California Southern University is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Senior College and University Commission. The Commission is one of six regional accrediting agencies recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation and the U.S. Department of Education.iii
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences recognizes California Southern University’s Master of Art in Psychology as meeting the educational requirements for licensure as a professional clinical counselor or marriage and family therapist.
- The Doctor of Psychology meets the educational requirements of the California Board of Psychology for licensure as a clinical psychologist
- The Juris Doctor enables students to sit for the California State Bar Examination to become a licensed attorney
California Southern University Online Majors and Programs
Students can pursue California Southern University Online degrees in business, law, psychology, nursing, and criminal justice at the associate’s degree, bachelors’ degree, master’s degree, doctorate degree, and certificate levels.
Cal Southern: 5 Schools in 1
California Southern University offers its online programs through five schools:
- The School of Behavioral Sciences
- The School of Business
- The School of Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement
- The School of Law
- The School or Nursing
School of Behavioral Sciences: Through the School of Behavioral Sciences, graduate students can earn a Master of Arts in Psychology (M.A.), a Master of Science in Psychology (M.S.), or a Doctor of Psychology (Psy.D.).vii
The California Southern University PsyD, one of the schools more popular programs, requires students to earn 66 credits (all online) over four years (with full-time status). The M.A. in Psychology requires students to earn 60 credits and the M.S. in Psychology requires students to earn 42 credits. Each programs has unique additional requirements students must meet.vii
School of Business: Through the School of Business, graduate students can earn a Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) or Doctor of Business Administration (D.B.A.), both online. To earn the M.B.A., students must earn 36 credits and to earn the D.B.A., students must earn 60 credits. Students in each program must meet additional requirements according to their program level.viii
California Southern University Law School: Through the California Southern University Law School, graduate students can earn a Master of Laws (LLM), Master of Science in Dispute Resolution (MSDR), Master of Science in Law (MSL), or Juris Doctor (JD). To earn their degrees, students must earn the following number of credits:ix
- 24 credits for the LLM
- 36 credits for the MSDR
- 36 credits for the MSL
- 88 credits for the JD
Graduate students must meet additional requirements according to their program.
Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement and Nursing: Through its schools of Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement and Nursing, California Southern University offers a Master’s Degree Law Enforcement Executive Leadership (MSLEEL), a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN), and Associate Degree to Masters (AND-toMSN), all online.
Online courses in each of these areas are taught by instructors who are educated and experienced professionals in their fields.
California Southern University Admissions
The California Southern University admissions process requires 10 steps, five of which take place before acceptance into a program. To apply, prospective students must:x
- Complete an enrollment application (whose requirements could vary by program)
- Submit transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities
- Submit a government-issued identification card
- For graduate programs, submit a personal statement
- Pay an application fee of $75 (2018)
Once applicants have submitted their application materials, they take the next five steps:x
- Receive an acceptance notification and letter of acceptance from a program Dean
- Review a degree plan
- Choose a payment option
- Sign an enrollment agreement
- Start an academic program
California Southern University’s admissions process is straightforward. All prospective students, whether applying for associates, bachelors, masters, or doctorate degree programs, must:x
- Complete an enrollment application
- Submit transcripts (from high school or other higher education institutions)
- Provide a copy of their government-issued ID
- Pay an application fee of $75.00
Additional Admissions Requirements
In addition, international students must submit satisfactory TOEFL or IELTS scores and potentially have their transcripts from other countries evaluated.x
There are no entrance exams to attend California Southern University, and classes have monthly starts. Because programs are self-paced, students can progress toward their degrees at a pace that works for them.x
Tuition at California Southern University
California Southern University strives to offer reasonably priced tuition. Once students have enrolled in a program and registered in classes, their tuition remains the same for the duration of their program so long as there are no gaps in their enrollment.xi
California Southern University’s tuition were as follows in 2017:xi
- $495 per semester credit for the following degrees: a Master of Laws, Master in Education, Master of Arts in Psychology, Master of Science in Psychology, Master of Business Administration, Master of Science in Dispute Resolution, Master of Science in Law Enforcement Executive Leadership, and Master of Science in Law
- $425 per semester credit for a Master of Science in Nursing
- $375 per semester credit for a Juris Doctor
- $495 per semester credit for a Doctor of Psychology
Students pay additional money for books, fees, and other materials for courses. The average cost of textbooks per course is $145 with the exception of JD courses. The average cost of textbooks for the JD program is $900-$1,200 per year.xi
A Payment Plan for You
To help students pay for their programs, California Southern University offers interest-free payment plans. Students can pay in full, one semester at a time, month-by-month, or using third-party benefits, such as those from the military. California Southern University does not participate in any federal student aid plan, so students cannot apply for grants or loans through the federal government.xi
Explore California Southern University Online
Use the search tools on our website to find graduate programs in psychology, business, law, nursing, and criminal justice. Begin your search now!
i calsouthern.edu/about-us/online-university | ii calsouthern.edu/about-us/university-president | iii calsouthern.edu/about-us/history | iv calsouthern.edu/institutional-effectiveness/kpi/graduation-rates | v calsouthern.edu/about-us/accredited-online-degrees | vi calsouthern.edu/about-us/licensing | vii calsouthern.edu/psychology | viii calsouthern.edu/business-administration-degree | ix calsouthern.edu/online-law-school x calsouthern.edu/admissions | xi calsouthern.edu/admissions/tuition
CalSouthern’s innovative Master of Science in Law Enforcement Executive Leadership (MSLEEL) is a first-of-its kind degree that is designed to provide law enforcement professi more >