Master of Education
The Master of Education (MEd) program provides learning opportunities for licensed teachers that address the professional needs of today’s educators. By design, the program leads to the advancement of knowledge and instructional skills that provide the foundation for quality classroom instruction.
The P-12 Reading major is designed for teachers who want to develop expertise in the teaching of reading, both in classroom and resource settings. The major can be completed as part of the MEd curriculum or as a stand alone, 5-course certificate program. Students are prepared for the required Praxis II Specialty Test.
The program provides quality, relevant, coordinated, and enriching professional development experiences to advance, enhance, and update the knowledge and skills of teachers. In turn, teachers who complete the program will be able to advance, enhance, and update the knowledge and skills of their students and the learning communities in which they work and serve.
It is our expectation that educators who complete the MED program will:
• Understand the latest theories regarding learning, curriculum, and instruction, and be able to apply theoretical constructs, curriculum and teaching strategies that promote learning for all students.
• Explore the social, cultural, and legal issues that impact education, while taking into consideration the relationship to the Franciscan values of reverence, stewardship, service, and intellectual discovery.
• Integrate and apply the specific knowledge base, dispositions, and performance indicators that respect and celebrate the value of all students’ experiential backgrounds, learning styles, and perspectives.
• Use a variety of instructional strategies that incorporate technology, and be able to assess the potential of these resources in addressing personal competencies, lifelong goals, and educational (workplace) needs.
• Demonstrate proficiency in a personally selected area of emphasis by developing, presenting, and defending a professional development portfolio, as well as a final capstone research project.
Lourdes University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Facts & Figures
International Financial Aid:
# of Credits Required:
Average Cost per Credit (Graduate):
In State Tuition (per year):
Out State Tuition (per year):