The mission of ESSP is to provide an integrated and creative learning environment that fosters intellectual growth, critical thinking, and practical engagement especially in management of the Earth system and resources.
Our overall goal is to promote sustainability by pursuing:
1. Excellence in learning through a student-structured curriculum, a multi-disciplinary teaching approach, and experiential learning environments.
2. Excellence in discovery through research driven by societal needs and values and occurs within an Earth System Science paradigm.
3. Excellence in engagement through outreach, service, and practical experience, which put knowledge related to Earth System Science and Policy to work.
The overall learning outcomes for degree programs offered in ESSP are:
1. A breadth of knowledge in Earth System Science and Policy and the ability to apply that knowledge to address societal-driven sustainability science research, with a broad sense of ethical and professional responsibilities.
2. A strong knowledge of multi-scale processes, cutting-edge computer technology, geographical information systems (GIS), remote sensing, and quantitative analysis.
3. A strong knowledge of environmental policy, and environmental and resource e
conomics related to human-environment interactions.
4. Written and oral communication skills that will facilitate the transfer of knowledge to support actionable decisions.
5. The ability to function within multi-disciplinary teams to accomplish common goals.
6. An awareness of and preparation for a lifetime of learning.
UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. UND also holds many special accreditation's at the college, department, or program level.
International Student Requirements:
All graduate applicants must demonstrate academic-level proficiency with the English language before they will be considered for admission. This requirement must be met by all applicants, regardless of citizenship, residency, or nation of birth. No applicants will be considered for admission until the English Language Proficiency is met. Please refer to the Academic Catalog for ways in which this requirement can be met.
Facts & Figures
Financial Aid: No
International Financial Aid: No
Classification: Doctoral/Research University—Intensive
Locale: Small City
Size & Settings: 10,000-19,999