Master of Divinity/Master of Arts in English Education (Dual-Degree)
The M.Div./M.A. degree is designed to enhance divinity students’ literary skills by permitting them to earn a second degree, the M.A., instead of the usual M.Div. concentration.This degree provides students with a broad and rich literary context from which to do ministry and provides them with a common frame of reference with which to connect with persons of diverse culture and background. Moreover, it provides students with enhanced critical and analytical skills with which to reflect on life and the world while providing them with additional literary models with which to understand and interpret the Scriptures.
The degree has two potential student populations in view: (1) the minister who desires greater background in the literary arts as a context for ministry, and (2) the minister who serves in a small church situation and finds it necessary to supplement church-derived income through secular employment. In the latter case an advanced degree in a non-ministerial discipline will be of significant value.
The M.A. In English Education program leads to a recommendation for graduate-level NC Teaching License for those with initial licensure in 9-12 English. Graduate students who do not have initial license may obtain the degree but not the graduate-level license. However, students must be teaching some aspect of the discipline of English in a real-world context in order to complete the requirements for this program.
The School of Divinity is accredited by the Association of Theological Schools of the United States and Canada.
The Education program is accredited by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
International Student Requirements:
1. TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 500-paper based test, 173 min.-computer based, or 61 min.-internet based.
2. WES - (Evaluation of Foreign Educational Credentials) - All Transcripts from institutions outside U.S. must be submitted to WES
3. VISA/ PASSPORT - F1 student visa or H1B work/employment visa. -Permanent Residents need to supply a copy of their permanent residency card
International applicants planning to immigrate to the U.S.A., submit the following:
4. Documents to Support Sponsor Financial Responsibility-Copy of most recent Bank Statement and one of the following: Recent tax return OR copies of the Last 3 pay stubs.
5. I-20 Request Form
6. International Student Transfer Form (if coming from another U.S. institution, a copy of your I-94 and I-20 are required)
Facts & Figures
Financial Aid: No
International Financial Aid: No
# of Credits Required: 105
Average Cost per Credit (Graduate): $332 USD
Classification: Master's College or University I
Locale: Fringe Rural Area
Size & Settings: 3,000-5,999