Gardner-Webb University

Gayle Bolt Price School of Graduate Studies

MA in Middle Grades Education


Enka High School

475 Enka Lake Road

Candler, NC 28715

United States

Program Information

Degrees Offered:

M.A. in Middle Grades Education

Format: Campus

Program Description:

The Master of Arts in Middle Grades Education program includes thirty semester hours in five components: professional, instructional, content area, elective, and capstone. The primary focus of the program is to enhance middle level teachers’ understanding and knowledge of the theoretical base, research, and exemplary practices of middle level education including, but not limited to, the nature of the young adolescent, developmentally appropriate instruction, and advanced content area knowledge. The program leads to recommendation for graduate level state licensure. Graduate courses for the Master’s Degree in Middle Grades Education are designed to assist in the advanced preparation of individuals who teach or desire to teach in a middle school. The Middle Grades Program allows learners to improve professional skills;“wrap theory in practice”; and enhance content area, pedagogical, and integration expertise. Students will benefit from a synthesis of current research and classroom applications. This program culminates in a capstone experience requiring an innovative project designed collaboratively by the student and the student’s committee.


Gardner-Webb University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. The Education program is accredited by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).

International Student Requirements:

1. TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 500-paper based test, 173 min.-computer based, or 61 min.-internet based. 2. WES - (Evaluation of Foreign Educational Credentials) - All Transcripts from institutions outside U.S. must be submitted to WES 3. VISA/ PASSPORT - F1 student visa or H1B work/employment visa. -Permanent Residents need to supply a copy of their permanent residency card International applicants planning to immigrate to the U.S.A., submit the following: 4. Documents to Support Sponsor Financial Responsibility-Copy of most recent Bank Statement and one of the following: Recent tax return OR copies of the Last 3 pay stubs. 5. I-20 Request Form 6. International Student Transfer Form (if coming from another U.S. institution, a copy of your I-94 and I-20 are required)

Facts & Figures

Financial Aid: Yes

International Financial Aid: Yes

# of Credits Required: 33

Average Cost per Credit (Graduate): $355 USD

Classification: Master's College or University I

Locale: Fringe Rural Area

Size & Settings: 3,000-5,999

Find Schools