East Carolina University
College of Arts and Sciences
Technical and Professional Discourse
The PhD program offers students the opportunity to combine theory and practice in the study of rhetoric, writing, and professional communication. Focusing on public and community rhetorics across genres and media, we provide future scholar-teachers with diverse, well-supported research and pedagogical experiences and foster professional development within intellectual and professional communities.
The PhD program provides students with
• Required seminars that connect the fields of rhetoric and professional communication and encourage program progress.
• Diverse teaching and administrative opportunities (teaching opportunities: composition to advanced writing courses, research and administrative appts., writing studio/center, and website/social media opportunities).
• Opportunities to conduct community-engagement research that has an impact on the public and the community.
• Extensive professional development and competitive financial support.
• Experiences working with the university’s Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP), “Write Where You Belong,” focused on improving writing instruction from foundational writing courses to writing in the disciplines.
• Accessible, supportive, research productive faculty recognized as leaders in the disciplines of rhetoric, writing, and professional communication.
Facts & Figures
Financial Aid: Yes
International Financial Aid: Yes
Classification: Doctoral/Research University—Intensive
Locale: Midsize City
Size & Settings: 20,000-39,999