The television, radio and film program is designed for those who want to tell stories for screens of all sizes, examining various forms of entertainment media through the lenses of storytelling, industry, technology, and art form. The program provides an intense, immersive, and focused experience to prepare students to enter the industry in just one year.
The program includes a combination of courses that are critical at the master’s level with practical skills courses:
• Courses like Industry Forces, Television Production Workshop, Human-Computer Interaction, Advanced Management Capstone, Communications Frontiers prepare you for the uncertain media environment ahead.
• Major themes in coursework include production, screenwriting, criticism, business management and trends, the creative process, and entrepreneurial strategies in uncertain creative and business environments.
Unique features of our program:
• Strong connection to our New York City and Los Angeles campuses and resources in our one-week industry immersion program
• The Proseminar Industry Series, spanning your year of study, brings together TRF studies and practices.
o The Proseminar experience prepares you to engage in TRF issues and practices
o Helps you understand changes in media environments
o Enables you to respond to future challenges as a skilled creator and decision-maker
• Nearly half of your studies are self-selected, based on your interests and strategies formed with a faculty advisor
• You will gain a full understanding of story–from critical thinking to concept to form to genre to structure to aesthetics to law and policy to promotion and marketing to distribution.
• You will become a leader in enterprises where stories for screens entertain and persuade audiences–as a writer, director, editor, producer, media executive, multimedia designer, manager, entertainment lawyer, or agent at places like PBS, Comcast-NBC Universal, Google, MTV, Discovery Networks, Time Warner, Disney, Nickelodeon, and CAA.
Newhouse is accredited by ACEJMC.
International Student Requirements:
International students must submit a TOEFL score of 100 or higher or an IELTS score of 7.0 or higher.
Facts & Figures
International Financial Aid:
# of Credits Required: