Considered as a member of the “Ivy League” of public relations programs in the United States, the Newhouse School’s 13-month master’s program will give you that foundational knowledge and skills to make you, as so many employers describe our graduates, “day-one” ready. The most skilled public relations professionals understand how to use their knowledge of theory, research, and current best practices to meet today’s challenges.
The program fuses theory and practical applications into its courses so graduates understand:
• Public relations theory, research, and law
• Writing (in traditional, digital, and social formats)
• Media relations
• Strategic planning (campaigns)
• Program management
• Business/finance (through courses at Martin J. Whitman School of Management)
• Two required practicums (internships) to gain hands-on professional experience in and out of the Syracuse area
Unique features of our program:
• We are home to the new W2O Center for Social Commerce, where faculty, students, and industry leaders are exploring how big data, analytics, and social media are changing the practice of public relations.
• Your portfolio of real-world samples will come not only through class assignments for real clients, but also through internships and through participation in Hill Communications, a student-run public relations firm.
• We are an alpha chapter of PRSSA, with more than 300 members.
• Our graduates find jobs in major cities like New York, Boston, Chicago, Washington, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and global capitals.
• Our graduates are employed in public relations and public affairs firms; in marketing communications and social media boutiques; in corporations; nonprofit agencies; hospitals and health care organizations; tech companies; educational institutions; sports; and politics and government.
Newhouse is accredited by ACEJMC.
International Student Requirements:
International students must submit a TOEFL score of 100 or higher or an IELTS score of 7.0 or higher.
Facts & Figures
International Financial Aid:
# of Credits Required: