This is a program for those who want to make a difference in communications on a global scale.
Students receive two master's degrees in less than two years–one in public relations from the Newhouse School and one in international relations from the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs. Students learn research skills, communications skills, and the ability to build positive relationships across cultures and nations.
The curriculum includes a unique schedule integrated between the two schools:
• The program begins in early July with a six-week summer seminar, introducing you to the cross-disciplinary synthesis of public diplomacy and public communications.
• During fall and spring semesters, you take courses at the Maxwell and Newhouse schools.
• The following summer, you complete an off-campus experience in either Washington, D.C.; Geneva, Switzerland; Vienna, Austria; or Strasbourg, France.
• You resume coursework in the fall semester and finish the program that spring in Washington, D.C.
Unique features of our program:
• You spend your last semester living and studying in Washington, D.C., taking two seminar courses in public diplomacy and completing a public diplomacy internship.
• You are active in the Association of Public Diplomacy Scholars, hosting various speakers’ series, producing an annual symposium, and publishing an annual issue of Exchange: The Journal of Public Diplomacy.
• You participate as a producer, director, or online talent with the Newhouse School’s Public Diplomat podcast, blog, and videos.
• Public diplomacy graduates are making the world a better place by building positive relationships, opening doors of communication, and improving understanding between people of different cultures.
• Our students find jobs in government, nongovernmental organizations, and public relations firms–at places like the Near East Foundation, the World Bank, and the U.S. Department of State.
Newhouse is accredited by ACEJMC.
International Student Requirements:
International students must submit a TOEFL score of 100 or higher or an IELTS score of 7.0 or higher.
Facts & Figures
Financial Aid: Yes
International Financial Aid: Yes
# of Credits Required: 58
Classification: Doctoral/Research University—Extensive
Locale: Midsize City