The broadcast and digital journalism program trains students to work in a professional broadcast news operation with the goal of being ready for the job the day they graduate. You will learn every skill necessary to be a contemporary broadcast news/video journalist, constantly producing news content on multiple platforms under deadline to learn how to work quickly and accurately.
The program includes a combination of courses that are critical at the master’s level with practical skills courses:
• Producing, for the newscast and in the field
• Performance, in field and studio
• Newsroom operations
• Digital news operations
• Communications law and ethics
• An on-campus capstone project, followed by six weeks studying and reporting in Washington, D.C.
Unique features of our program:
• You will use equipment and technology that is on par with, and in some cases exceeds, that which is used in the professional world.
• Facilities include four news laboratories, the Associated Press wire service and scriptwriting/producing software system, a professional television news studio, digital camera systems, and multiple video and audio editing stations.
• In Washington, D.C., you will report as a stringer for stations across the country, produce sports stories for local or national media, or tell stories in innovative ways at digital news operations.
• Most graduates begin their careers in television news operations as reporters or producers.
• Storytelling skills are not limited to any particular platform. Video news content reaches consumers over broadcast and cable outlets, the web, mobile devices, and all social media.
• Recent graduates have landed jobs at more than 20 local and national television news operations. Many move on to second and third jobs at places like WCBS-TV in New York City and WTTG-TV in Washington, D.C.
Newhouse is accredited by ACEJMC.
International Student Requirements:
International students must submit a TOEFL score of 100 or higher or an IELTS score of 7.0 or higher.
Facts & Figures
International Financial Aid:
# of Credits Required:
In State Tuition (per year):