St John's University-New York
About St John's University-New York
Why Choose St John’s University?
You might have lots of different reasons for wanting to attend Saint Johns University. The St Johns University rankings alone could be a factor. After all, they’re widely recognized for the quality of education they offer their students. Consider the St John’s University Ranking from US News & World Report 2018:
- #165 in National Universities
- #183 in Business Programs
- #31 in Best Online Graduate Education Programs
- #45 in Best Online Graduate Business Programs (Excluding MBA)
- #83 Best Law Schools/#21 Part Time Law
- #40 Library & Information Studies Graduate Programs
Similarly, The Princeton Review included St John’s University in the following categories:
- Best 382 Colleges
- Best Northeastern
- Green Colleges
Need a few more reasons to consider earning your graduate degree at SJU? Consider the ones listed below.
Study Under Accomplished Faculty
A huge part of a great education is the quality of the teachers, and St John’s University is proud to offer just that. In fact, five members of their faculty have been included on The Princeton Review’s Best 300 professors, and some have received Fulbright Guggenheim Awards. More than 90% hold advanced degrees, and many St John’s faculty are involved with research and are published in their fields. Best of all, with an 18:1 student to faculty ratio, students may enjoy the personal support they need.
Become Part of a Global Community
Just as New York is a global city, St John’s University is in many ways a global university. While centrally located in Queens, they also have campus and academic centers in cities around the world, including Limerick, Rome, and Paris. SJU also maintains a robust study abroad program which students may participate in.
Of course, you don’t have to go abroad to experience SJU’s global and diverse identity. In fact, students come from more than 100 different countries. The school also makes sure to provide faculty, administration and staff with the training they need to ensure a healthy, inclusive and productive learning environment for students of all backgrounds.
Pursue Fellowships, Assistantships, & Professional Experience
Students at St John’s University may find opportunities for unique, hands-on experience to enhance their classroom learning. If you’re in a professionally-oriented program or are in need of relevant professional experience, career services may be able to assist you in searching and applying for internship opportunities. Some graduate students may even qualify for fellowship or graduate assistantship opportunities.
Lean on Academic Support & Resources
St John’s University makes an effort to be there for their students by providing them with the support and resources they need to thrive. This could range writing assistance at the writing center, to research materials and guidance, to professional development. And if you’re the type of person that wants to help provide that support to others, there may be opportunities to do so through tutoring or mentorship.
Mission, Vision and ValuesThe St John’s University mission is defined by their identity as a global, Vincentian, Catholic University. They dedicate themselves to providing their students with the support, inquisitive freedom, and scholastic standards they need, while remaining true to the school’s essential values of truth, love, respect, opportunity, and service.
St. John’s University uses a rolling admissions policy for their graduate programs. As such, the amount of available space, as well as program-specific requirements, may vary and are subject to change. Some programs may even have their own separate applications from the general online one.
Some of the requirements you might expect include:
- Two or more letters of recommendation: These are nearly always an application requirement, but specific graduate programs may have more stipulation. For example, applying to a doctoral program in psychology requires three to five.
- Writing Samples and/or Personal Statement: Typically, a personal statement is a short essay (around 300 words) that describes who you are and your reasons for seeking the degree you want. Writing samples are often (though not always) examples of your research or academic writing related to your area of study.
- Resume or CV: This is currently an application requirement for all graduate programs at St. John’s, and can help to showcase your relevant academic, professional and volunteer experience.
- Postsecondary Transcripts: This should show that you’ve successfully earned a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, as well as the school. Different programs may have different GPA or course requirements related to this.
- GRE Scores: Many programs require GRE scores, general and/or subject tests. Follow up with your program of interest to find out which tests, if any, you’ll need.
- Special Learning Opportunities: Undergrad Distance, Grad Distance
- Credit Accepted: Dual credit, Credit for life experiences, Credit For Military, Advanced placement(AP) credits
- Carnegie Classification: Doctoral/Research Universities
- Religious Affiliation: Roman Catholic
- There are 1740 full-time faculty
- 983 Part-time instructional faculty
- ROTC Services
- Study Abroad Services
- Weekend Evening College Services
- Remedial Services
- Academic Career Counseling Services
- Employment Services for Students
- Placement Services Completers
- Library Services
Enrollment, Attendance, Retention Rates and Graduation
Graduate attendance rate of 41% part-time and 59% full-time
For the years 2017-2018 St John's University-New York awarded: 14 associates, 2081 bachelor's degrees, 1171 master's degrees, 155 post-master's certificates, 486 doctor's degrees - professional practice, 122 doctor's degrees - research/scholarship
St John’s University is regionally accredited by The Middle States Commission on Higher Education. In addition, their online programs hold subject-specific accreditation form the following organizations.
- The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) recognizes the online MBA, MS in Taxation, and the MS in Accounting programs
- The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) has endorsed the Online MS Accounting program
- The Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE) has endorsed the Online MS Accounting program
- The Institute of Internal Auditors (IAEP) has endorsed the Online MS Accounting program
- The American Library Association (ALA) accredits the online MS in Library and Information Science program
- The Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC) accredits the Online PhD in Literacy program
- The school is full of many supportive people who genuinely care for each other. You just really need to join something that interests you and then you'll be able to find some great friends. People seem very chill for it being considered a top university. Definitely a calmer atmosphere compared to schools like Stanford and Berkeley.
- The university provides the best of both academics opportunities as well as extracurricular activities in order to help their students explore and/or grow their skills on a specific or variety of fields. Their goal is to get their students involved in what they love in order to grow and expand the students knowledge.
- Overall, I love being a student at USC. On campus, I am a research assistant, a newspaper writer, and a dancer on the competitive hip-hop team. I've met a wide variety of students at USC, some who astound me with their intelligence and hobbies. I love talking to my professors during their office hours. The downsides to being a USC student is that a lot of things are inordinately expensive, the tuition keeps rising (unnecessarily), and the area around it is not super nice.
- St. John's University: Online
- St. John's University: Queens Village, NY8000 Utopia Parkway, Queens, NY, 11439
- St. John's University: Staten Island, NY300 Howard Avenue, Staten Island, NY, 10301
- St. John's University: New York City, NY, New York, NY, 10003
- St. John's University: Oakdale, NY500 Montauk Highway, Oakdale, NY, 11769
SJU offers more than 100 graduate and professional programs through five colleges, in addition to the School of Law and their biotechnology institute. They offer masters and doctoral programs, as well as professional education and graduate certificate programs.
Additionally, students and faculty may find support and/or research experience through more than 50 centers, clinics and institutes, each one dedicated to a specific application or interest within its subject area.
Program Spotlight: Masters in Accounting Online
Saint John’s University offers an on campus and online Master of Science in Accounting program. It’s designed to help professionals support the accounting needs of their organizations through theory and practice. It’s a 33 credit program, and is designed to support students in preparing to sit for the CPA exam and help fulfill New York state licensure requirements. It touches not only on accounting, but also taxation and internal auditing skills.
For students who don’t have a business background, the MBA in accounting is 69 credits and covers general business and leadership concepts in addition to the more technical accounting concepts. Like the MSA program, it could also help students prepare to sit for the CPA exam and qualify for licensure.