School of Architecture
Sustainable Environmental Systems, M.S.
200 Willoughby Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11205
Master of Science in Sustainable Environmental Systems
The mission of the Sustainable Environmental Systems program is to provide an innovative, professional development education to a diverse student body. Students learn the interdisciplinary skills needed to assess contemporary environmental issues; catalyze innovative environmental problem solving; uphold environmental and social justice; and engage diverse stakeholders in designing and developing sustainable plans, policies, and communities. Graduates are prepared to take on a range of roles as policy analysts, sustainability consultants, low impact developers, researchers, and advocates, collaborating with environmental scientists, policymakers and communities.
In response to the environmental challenges of the 21st century, including climate change, public and private sectors worldwide are seeking to "green" their practices. Today there is an increasing demand for environmental professionals who have a holistic understanding of the complex interactions that lead to environmental problems and are able to collaborate with multiple disciplines to identify and implement sustainable best practices. Pratt Institute's Graduate Center for Planning and the Environment is proud to offer a redesigned 40 credit Master of Science in Sustainable Environmental Systems. By combining a foundation of theoretical and technical core courses with innovative mini-courses, Pratt offers a uniquely comprehensive curriculum that fosters exposure to "cutting edge" practicing professionals.
Through their studies in the Sustainable Environmental Systems program, students will:
- Develop the ability to assess and critically examine environmental issues related to water and air quality, solid waste management, urban energy systems, and building performance.
- Demonstrate a foundational understanding of the legal, economic and regulatory framework of federal, state, and New York City environmental policy and review.
- Learn stakeholder engagement and uphold social and environmental justice while demonstrating the ability to engage in collaborative, interdisciplinary, environmental problem solving.
- Develop an understanding of sustainable community development.
- Design sustainable environmental policies and plans with verifiable indicators and metrics.
- Understand and argue the cost of environmental externalities associated with current economic policy and development.
- Develop a baseline level of technical proficiency and professional communication skills: written, oral, and visual.
Applicants from all fields of study are encouraged to apply. They must submit a writing sample or portfolio, depending on their background. The writing sample or portfolio should indicate an interest in or awareness of issues to be addressed in this program. The GMAT is optional. Applications will be accepted after the deadline if there is room.
Facts & Figures
Financial Aid: Yes
International Financial Aid: Yes
Classification: Specialized Institution—School of art, music, or design
Locale: Large City
Size & Settings: 3,000-5,999