The Path to a better future is right in front of you
Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development
70 Washington Square South
New York City, NY 10012
Graduate program in Education and Social Policy
Based in the social science disciplines of economics and sociology, our M.A. in Education and Social Policy program prepares you to use statistics and quantitative methods, large datasets, and research designs to analyze education policies for grades K-12 and higher education. The curriculum is designed to help you master appropriate analytical methods as well as develop knowledge of issues in a specific education policy area, such as higher education, race and class, international education, or K-12 education issues. Your studies culminate in a capstone experience where you work in a team to analyze the effects of an education policy.
The program includes:
• a focus on urban education
• a concern for social justice and equity in education
• coursework and applied learning that connects theory and practice
• a strong sense of community among faculty and students
• links to community and research organizations that support schools
• opportunities for students to engage with faculty and researchers in projects related to policy analysis and evaluation through Steinhardt's numerous centers and institutes
• and New York City as an important laboratory in which to learn and practice education policy
Our students are recent college graduates, career changers, and in general, those interested in education and big policy issues. They come from a variety of backgrounds and experiences, including education, but also the social sciences, sciences, and humanities. You do not need prior knowledge of education policy or statistics.
As a graduate you’ll be prepared to work in a wide variety of organizations that have a role in policymaking and implementation in the education area, including local, state and federal education departments, foundations, think tanks, consulting, grant-giving, and public-relations departments in selected private organizations.
We offer generous scholarships to help fund your graduate education.
Financial Aid: Yes
International Financial Aid: Yes
Average Cost per Credit (Graduate): $1,422 USD
Classification: Doctoral/Research University—Intensive
Locale: Large City