Long Island University
Palmer School of Library and Information Science
M.A. in English
M.A. in English
The MA program in English at LIU Post offers a dynamic opportunity to pursue your passion for literature and writing while developing the professional skills necessary to compete in today’s marketplace. Our department provides an enriching environment with renowned scholars, small classes, and a close-knit graduate community. This program is also tailored to your interests. We have several specializations with internships designed to help you network and to begin your career!
In the second year of the program, you will choose from the following specializations:
- Traditional: For those interested in doctoral work or positions at research institutes, we offer a traditional literary studies track that culminates in a thesis. Our students also participate actively in regional conferences and submit their work to journals and edited collections.
- Pedagogical: This specialization offers opportunities in tutoring and teacher training. Experiences in the LIU Post Writing Center can be a launching point for a professional career in tutoring. Our department has recently placed several students at Writing Centers and Tutoring facilities throughout Long Island. Additionally, students interested in adjunct teaching positions will have opportunities for coursework specializing in pedagogical theory.
- Publishing: Students interested in a career in publishing can secure an internship with a publishing company, participate as a reader for our literary journal Confrontation, and take additional coursework in other aspects of the business such as copyediting.
- Social Advocacy: For students passionate about social advocacy, we currently place our graduates with Herstory—an organization that operates a transformative writers’ workshop for incarcerated women—and Project 9 Line.
- Global Connections: Through LIU’s Global College, we also provide internship opportunities for those who wish to work with international organizations.
Facts & Figures
Master's College or University I
Size & Settings: