Graduate School of Arts and Science
Programs in Education
Programs in Education
The Master of Science in Education ranges between 30 and 36 credits, depending on the program sought. The programs are for students currently possessing, minimally, initial New York State Teaching Certification.
Does the program lead to licensure?
- MSEd programs satisfy the educational requirement for professional certification; MST programs provide certification for students transitioning to a career in teaching
- Specific focus of the program:
- To prepare candidates for teaching in secondary schools and for professional certification in the content areas.
- NCATE accreditation (national recognition)
-Iona is well-recognized and regarded as a major teacher-training institution.
- Program integrates theory and practice so graduates are able to apply their learning in the classroom.
- Small class sizes offer students the opportunity to be closely mentored by the faculty.
- Master of Arts programs in English, History and Spanish strengthen content courses.
- Courses may be completed on either campus.
- Broad array of computer resources available on both campuses.
- Semester schedule
- Two hours, one evening a week (some courses may begin at 4:15 pm)
- Some courses offered by distance-learning (DL course)
- Entry terms: Fall, spring, summer
- Application deadline: rolling admissions
- Average courseload per term: 2 (three credits each)
Credits to completion:
32 for MSEd Adolescence-Biology
33 for MSEd Adolescence-English
33 for MSEd Adolescence-Mathematics
30 for MSEd Adolescence-Social Studies
30 for MSEd Adolescence-Spanish
Average time to complete the degree: 2 years
Out-of-classroom activities required:
- Ten hours of fieldwork are required in every education class. Classroom teachers are asked to observe their colleagues during free periods.
- Required academic preparation or background experience:
- Initial license in NYS and minimum undergraduate GPA
- Admission requirements:
- Application for admission
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended
- Two professional letters of recommendation
- Minimum GPA 2.95
- GRE examination if cumulative undergraduate GPA is below 2.95 with a minimum score of 500 verbal and 500 quantitative.
- Proof of initial teaching certification or evidence of pending certification
NCATE accreditation (national recognition)
Facts & Figures
Financial Aid: Yes
International Financial Aid: Yes
Classification: Master's College or University I
Locale: Large Suburb
Size & Settings: 3,000-5,999