About Hofstra University
Why Consider Hofstra University?
Hofstra University strives to provide pre-professional, professional, masters and doctoral programs that might prepare students to pursue a wide range of career objectives.
As one of the colleges in Long Island, New York, the Hofstra University campus could situate students close enough to the Big Apple to enjoy its activities and culture. Potential internships and networking could be something to take advantage of as well.
In addition to two traditional semesters, the university offers courses during a January term and several summer sessions. Many programs at Hofstra University also feature rolling admission, meaning applications are reviewed as they are received and there is no specific deadline to apply by.
Hofstra Program Model
The program model at Hofstra values both theory and practice, scholarship, research and professional training. With a diverse array of academic institutes and research-active faculty,
students might be encouraged to drive advancement in their field of study.
Hofstra University Online
At Hofstra University it may be possible to earn all or part of your degree or certificate online when and where it is most convenient. Many programs are ‘fully online’ (E.g. Online MBA) while others may be offered in a hybrid format. This melds campus and online components (E.g. MA in Public Relations).
Hofstra uses Blackboard Learning Management System. Generally, an online course could feature tools such as audio and video lectures, discussion boards, online assignments and exams, online case discussions, supplemental videos and websites, and other aspects as required for a specific course. Some courses are self-paced but there are may also be webinars and “live” online sessions.
Hofstra University Ranking
Hofstra is a nationally ranked university and among only three schools in the New York metropolitan area with colleges of Law, Medicine and Engineering .
- #36 (tie) in “Best Online MBA Programs” per U.S. News & World Report 2018
- #76 (tie) in “Best Online Graduate Education Programs” per U.S. News & World Report 2018 i
- #82 in “Best Colleges for Veterans” per U.S. News & World Report 2018
- #132 in “National Universities” per U.S. News & World Report 2018
- #71 “Best Value Schools” per U.S. News & World Report 2018 ii
Student Experience at Hofstra
Students at Hofstra University could enjoy a vibrant campus life with many social, academic and cultural events per year. There is also a wide variety of sport activities, fitness programs and recreational facilities for the entire campus community along with these highlights.
- The Hofstra libraries contain over 1 million volumes and provide 24/7 online access to more than 100,000 full-text journals and 200,000 electronic books. A Special Collections is comprised by Rare Books and Manuscripts, University Archives and the Long Island Studies Institute
- The Hofstra University Museum is nationally accredited by the American Alliance of Museums
- Centers and Institutes (E.g. Center for Climate Study Institute of Real Estate, Center for STEM Research, Center for Innovation)
Student Support Services
At Hofstra University, there are a number of student support services in place.
- Academic advising
- Student leadership and engagement
- Student mental health counseling
- Career counseling
Mission, Vision and ValuesHofstra’s self-defined primary mission is “to provide a quality education to its students in an environment that encourages, nurtures, and supports learning through the free and open exchange of ideas, for the betterment of humankind.”
Applications for graduate study at Hofstra are submitted online to their Office of Graduate Admission. Based on a student’s program of interest, s/he may be asked to apply through a common application system or directly to Hofstra University.
In general, applicants are required to present transcripts of a baccalaureate or graduate degree from a fully, regionally accredited institution when they apply for admission. Other required material depends on the program of choice, although the items listed below may be asked for.
- GRE/GMAT Scores
- Recommendations (1 to 2)
- Personal Statement
- Employment History
- Minimum GPA
Enrollment, Attendance, Retention Rates and Graduation
Graduate attendance rate of 28% part-time and 72% full-time
For the years 2018-2019 Hofstra University awarded: 1507 bachelor's degrees, 1173 master's degrees, 67 post-master's certificates, 326 doctor's degrees - professional practice, 58 doctor's degrees - research/scholarship
Hofstra University is regionally accredited at the institutional level by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
In addition, many of Hofstra’s graduate programs have been accredited by professional agencies to indicate they meet quality standards in their discipline.
- American Psychological Association Commission on Accreditation: PsyD and PhD in School Psychology, PhD in Clinical Psychology, Professional/ Scientific Psychology PhD programs
- American Bar Association: Law Schools
- Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education: Occupational Therapy Masters Programs (OTM)
- Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology: Speech-Language Pathology Graduate Programs, Clinical doctoral program in audiology
- Council of Education for Public Health: Public Health Graduate Programs
- Liaison Committee on Medical Education: Programs leading to the MD degree
For up-to-date info about accreditation status, one could visit agency websites.
- Hofstra University: Hempstead, NYHofstra University, 126 Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY, 11550
- Hofstra University: Online
At Hofstra, students could explore Master of Arts, Master of Science, professional Masters, PhD, Doctorate and certificates in a full spectrum of disciplines.
Earn an MBA Online at Hofstra
The Frank G. Zarb School of Business at Hofstra University offers a number of business graduate programs which may waive the GRE or GMAT under certain conditions. One of these is the fully AACSB-accredited online MBA which is ranked #17 in the nation by the Princeton Review. Also, as mentioned, it placed #36 by U.S. News and World Report. i
Students enrolled in Hofstra’s online MBA might leverage the close proximity to the New York business community through industry networking initiatives, events and career services. The program is also offered in a cohort format with a customized digital classroom. This could allow plenty of interaction among participants and with faculty.
A 45-credit program, the MBA covers three broad areas: (1) core competencies, (2) advanced core, (3) major concentration. Core courses could cover business ethics, compliance and basic economics. Advanced core topics could move into operations, marketing analysis, leadership, information systems and managerial finance/accounting. Students could also learn methods of analysis and cross-functional strategy.
The Strategic Business Management Concentration consists of five cross-disciplinary major concentration courses.
- Strategic Planning in Marketing
- Corporate Finance
- Strategic Accounting
- Management of Innovation (sustainability)
- Information technology
The format could allow students to complete the MBA degree within two years or choose an option that accommodates a busy work-study life. While courses are delivered online, there are two four-day residencies.
MBA Concentrations: Students could earn their MBA in accounting, business analytics, health services management, marketing, finance and beyond. Master of Science programs might provide alternatives to the MBA and are available in many of the same concentrations.
Other MBA Options: The Master of Business Administration is also offered in a Full-time day and flex option. An Executive MBA (EMBA) program targets individuals who hold middle- to senior-level management positions in private industry, government and the not-for-profit sector . Students interested in law and management could look for a JD/MBA joint degree.