Global Contemporary Art
This full-time graduate program provides an in-depth study of contemporary art within a global context since 1980. It is designed for those who wish to undertake a thorough study of today’s cutting edge art through a direct examination of current artistic practice and the commercial goals of art professionals. The course curriculum provides the student with the competitive edge to become professionally involved with emerging art markets, new art platforms, auction houses, galleries, and curatorial projects in this fast-growing, innovative field. All students in this program participate in exhibition visits and two study trips in Europe, Asia, or the Americas are a key element of this program that keeps pace with the fast-moving art world. The 15-month program concludes with a 45-day internship.
Applicants should possess an undergraduate degree in art history or related field of study (Anthropology, English, History) or relevant professional experience. Besides an in-depth focus on the critical debates surrounding art and its hybrid nature from 1980 to the present, this unique, hands-on program consists of panels and seminars that address market and patronage issues as well as lectures and discussions on conservation challenges that new forms of artistic production pose to traditional art structures. Among the practical ‘business of art’ skills examined are legal, taxation and insurance issues and the various methods of measuring value in art.
• Acquire essential knowledge of emerging art markets and variety of new platforms
• Become familiar with current research resources for art history and art business
• Gain an understanding of the central role of art within the dynamics of globalization
• Learn to identify, describe and interpret contemporary art and its materials, production processes and techniques
• Build critical skills and the ability to assess works of contemporary art
• Analyze and discuss ethical and legal case studies to foster critical thinking and business decision-making
• Receive advice on securing a career in the international art world
Christie’s Education, New York has been designated as a degree-granting institution by the New York State Board of Regents. Our graduate and certificate programs are registered with the New York State Education Department. Christie’s Education, New York is accredited by the New York State Board of Regents and the Commissioner of Education in their capacity as a nationally recognized accrediting agency.
International Student Requirements:
• Transcripts in other languages must be accompanied by English translations certified by official translation professionals or agencies)
• Official TOEFL score report
• All international transcripts must be accompanied by an equivalency report from an independent US credentials organization. Please contact Christie’s Education for a list.
Facts & Figures
Financial Aid: No
International Financial Aid: No
# of Credits Required: 44
Average Cost per Credit (Graduate): 1,190.00 USD
In State Tuition (per year): 53439 USD
Out State Tuition (per year): 53439 USD
Size & Settings: 0-999