Canisius College

School of Education and Human Services

M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling or School Counseling


2001 Main Street

Buffalo, NY 14208

United States





Program Information

Degrees Offered:

M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling or School Counseling

Format: Campus

Program Description:

The MS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling and MS in School Counseling will prepare you for New York State Licensure. You will share a group of core counseling courses and then choose to specialize in Clinical Mental Health or School Counseling, or a dual degree program. Study substance abuse counseling, rehabilitation counseling for those with disabilities, or complete a combination program of Clinical Mental Health and School Counseling.

Licensed mental health counselors make a difference in the lives of others along with social workers, psychologists and psychiatrists. Careers include work in mental health programs, substance abuse treatment, veteran’s affairs, college counseling centers, youth support programs and private practice. School Counselors focus on academic support, social and emotional needs, and career readiness of students in kindergarten through grade 12.

The Council for Accreditation and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) accredits both the School and Clinical Mental Health Counseling Programs.  CACREP accreditation offers greater recognition of quality professional preparation within the “job market”, as well as educational opportunities beyond a master’s degree, as well as provides students greater reciprocity for state/territory certifications and license beyond New York State.


Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) The School of Education and Human Services is accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).

International Student Requirements:

Additional Requirements for International Students Canadian and other international applicants must provide a completed Certification of Finances Form. International students who have completed university coursework outside the U.S. and Canada are required to have their transcripts and degrees evaluated by a foreign credential evaluation service such as World Education Services (WES) TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score, IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score, or a CAEL (Canadian Academic English Language) score. TOEFL: 79 IBT or 550 PBT IELTS: 6.5 overall CAEL: 70 overall Students from Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa are waived from the language proficiency requirement. Student who completed a 4 year degree (on campus) at a U.S. college/university are waived from the language proficiency requirement.

Facts & Figures

Financial Aid: Yes

International Financial Aid: No

# of Credits Required: 48 or 60

Average Cost per Credit (Graduate): $819 USD

Classification: Master's College or University I

Locale: Large City

Size & Settings: 3,000-5,999

Find Schools