Materials Science and Materials Engineering - Doctorate
Binghamton University offers students hands-on experience in several areas of cutting-edge research through our degrees in Materials Science and Engineering. This very interdisciplinary field of materials allows both fundamental and applied studies, in advanced materials ranging from nanomaterials to large-scale engineering materials. Our modern world is only as advanced as the materials that make it up. It is possible to do collaborative work with Chemistry, Mechanical Engineering, Physics and System Science.
You will work closely with faculty, creating an individualized course of study that develops your specific areas of interest. Opportunities abound for interaction with industrial and national laboratory scientists. Recent graduates of Binghamton work regionally and internationally in academia, industry and government laboratories.
Research areas in MSE include, but are not limited to:
• energy production, storage and transmission
• synthesis and analysis of nanomaterials, thin films and coatings
• advanced characterization
• optical, electronic, sensor, thermoelectric, photovoltaic, catalytic and electrocatalytic behaviors of nanomaterials
• superstructure of nanocrystal arrays, and polymer-based advanced materials
• mechanical behavior of metals, polymers and ceramics
• thermodynamic properties of alloy systems and complex oxides
• materials issues in electronics packaging (including flexible electronics)
M.S. students typically complete the program within 12-18 months. Ph.D. students with a previous M.S. degree can graduate in three years, while those with only a B.S. typically take four years. Financial aid opportunities (RA, TA) are available, and Binghamton has a low cost of living, making the program a great value.
We invite you to learn more about the program through our Graduate Program website, and to read faculty and student profiles.
Binghamton University - SUNY is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
Facts & Figures
Financial Aid: No
International Financial Aid: No
Classification: Doctoral/Research University—Extensive
Locale: Midsize Suburb
Size & Settings: 10,000-19,999