About Bard College
Why Consider Bard College?Bard College is a liberal arts-focused university and could be an idyllic settings for students who want to make a difference in the world around them through creative expression. The college has more than 100 academic, recreational, spiritual, social, performing arts, and special interest clubs. The faculty are active in their fields and focus students to actively engage outside of the classroom. Plus, it’s proximity to New York City enables students to pursue professional internship and career opportunities.
A Love of LearningThe key foundation at Bard College is to inspire students with a love of learning. Small class sizes focus on the individual with an approach that prepares the students for the intellectual and practical challenges of their profession. Students have the opportunity to engage philosophies of human existence, theories of human behavior and society, the making of art, and the study of the humanities, science, nature, and history.
Bard College Student ExperienceBard College buzzes with clubs and activities. More than 100 active clubs on campus, ranging from tango to astronomy, keep students actively engaged an inspired. Any student can start a club, and new clubs begin each semester. However, the college does host fraternities or sororities on campus. Plus, easy access to New York City enables students to attend and participate in a wide range of activities and events.
Student Support ServicesBard College offers plenty of support services for its students. Think counseling, career development, religious services, and health services. Students can commune in many different places like the main dining hall and other meeting places around the campus. Computer centers, art studios, a gym, and a campus center are also spot to engage with other students. If you want to get off campus, a free shuttle provides regular service to and from the neighboring towns of Red Hook, Rhinebeck, and Tivoli.
Taking in the Beauty of BardSet on more than 1,000 acres, peppered with historic building in a variety of architectural style, Bard offers plenty of space to wander and think.
Mission, Vision & Values
Bard’s primary mission is to inspire curiosity, idealism, and a love of learning. The college promotes a balance between individual specialization and general education. Its vision is for students to follow a course of study that reflects diverse traditions in research, speculation, and artistic expression. Its values lie at the intersection of education and civil society and its belief that higher-education institutions should work in the public interest.
AdmissionsApplication for Bard College programs can be completed online. Application deadlines vary from program to program but are mostly in the winter and early spring and late fall. Deadlines are broken down by Early Admission, Regular Admission, and Final Admission.
- Admissions requirements vary from program to program but all require a completion of prerequisite courses and prescreening work for the arts programs.
Enrollment, Attendance, Retention Rates and Graduation
Graduate attendance rate of 13% part-time and 87% full-time
For the years 2017-2018 Bard College awarded: 434 bachelor's degrees, 122 master's degrees, 2 doctor's degrees - research/scholarship
- Bard College is regionally accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools and by the New York State Education Department.
- Bard College also holds university memberships with American Council on Education, American Council of Learned Societies, Association of American Colleges and Universities, College Entrance Examination Board, Commission on Independent Colleges and Universities, Educational Records Bureau, and Environmental Consortium of Hudson Valley Colleges and Universities.
- Bard College: New York City, NY38 West 86th Street, New York, NY, 10024
- Bard College: Annandale-On-Hudson, NYPO Box 5000, PO Box 5000, Annandale-on-Hudson, NY, 12504
- Bard College: Los Angeles, CA3300 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA, 90010