Albany Medical College
About Albany Medical College
Why Consider Albany Medical College?
Albany Medical College offers career-focused graduate-level education through seven programs. The majority of its innovative curriculum is offered in an interactive, intimate, on-campus training environment, though some courses or programs are also offered online. Full tuition scholarships, stipends, and student health insurance are available to students in some programs. Here are some other reasons to consider Albany Medical College:
Albany Medical College Is More than Just a College
Albany Medical College is part of Albany Med, an academic health sciences center that incorporates a 743-bed hospital that offers a wide range of medical and surgical services. Also included in Albany Med is a biomedical research enterprise and large physician’s practice. Doctors, students, scientists, and other healthcare professionals come together to provide quality care and to innovate the field of healthcare.
Albany Medical College Receives Recognition
Albany Med has received regional, national, and international recognition for its high standards in biomedical research, education, and patient care. Receiving awards from commissions, medical centers, research corporations, consumer choice awards, and numerous other entities, Albany Med has been recognized in these areas among numerous others:i
- Alzheimer’s care
- Cancer care
- Cardiac care
- Critical care
- Care transition
- Donation and transplant medicine
- Incorporating input from the local community in research
Albany Medical College’s Graduate Medical Education Programs
Through these programs, qualifying students work alongside other medical students, master’s and doctoral students, nurse anesthetists, and research-conducting faculty to help full-time attending physicians provide patient care. Students will also have representation on the Graduate Medical Education Council, Chief Resident Council, Executive Committee of the Medical Staff, and other key committees in the college and hospital.
Albany Med Is Unique in the Area
The Albany Medical Center Hospital is the only academic medical center within 150 miles of Albany, NY. In serves 25 counties that include nearly three million residents. To do so, Albany Med has (as of 2017):ii
- Approximately 450 full-time physicians
- 600 additional area physicians
- 430 residents
- 550 medical students
- 734 beds
- 35,000 admitted patients each year
- Over 650,000 outpatient visits
Each of these qualities helps establish a dynamic environment for students to learn and grow professionally.
Albany Medical College’s Faculty
Albany Med employs 400 full-time faculty nurses, physicians, and staff across more than 35 medical specialties. The school’s diverse range of clinical offerings enables it to recruit high quality staff to serve as faculty leaders. Many of its staff are renowned in their fields and fill leadership positions across departments and areas of expertise.iii
Continuing Medical Education at Albany Medical College
Albany Medical College offers continuing medical education to help professionals meet institutional requirements and individual physician needs for Continual Medical Education. Activities in this areas are administered by way of lecture series, grand rounds, teaching rounds, seminars, workshops, mini-residencies, multi-media self-instruction, departmental scientific meetings, and clinical traineeships.
Mission, Vision and Values
Albany Medical College is committed to improving healthcare through excellence in education, patient care, and biomedical research. Through the Albany Medical College curriculum, faculty strive to impart knowledge in graduate and post-graduate fields of medicine and to foster a collegial, nurturing environment conducive to intellectual discovery.
Students who have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college can apply to Albany Medical College on a rolling basis. However, classes start for all students—with the exception of students in the Albany Medical College Physician Assistant Program—the fall after their acceptance. Students accepted into the PA program start in January of each year.
To apply to Albany Medical College, applicants must follow the guidelines set by their particular program’s department. They must also submit:
- General information
- The name of the department that most closely aligns with your research interests
- Your curriculum vitae
- A statement of purpose
- Official transcripts
- TOEFL scores if English is not your native language
- Relevant employment history
- GRE scores
- Three letters of recommendation
Foreign and military students might have to meet additional requirements, and some applicants may have to pay an application fee. In most cases, applications are completed entirely online.
Albany Medical College admissions are decided on a departmental and institutional level.
Enrollment, Attendance, Retention Rates and Graduation
Graduate attendance rate of 0% part-time and 100% full-time
For the years 2017-2018 Albany Medical College awarded: 75 master's degrees, 5 doctor's degrees, 124 doctor's degrees - professional practice, 9 doctor's degrees - research/scholarship
Students who qualify for financial aid can apply for federal, state, institutional, and private funding to pay their Albany Medical College tuition. While federal and private loans provide the majority of funds, students can also apply for grants, scholarships, and federal work study opportunities.
Accreditation helps ensure that higher education institutions provide quality education consistent with their stated goals and missions and according to standards set by the U.S. Department of Education and other outside entities. The accreditation process sets rigorous standards that schools must meet regularly. Albany Medical College has institutional accreditation from the Liaison Committee on Medical Education and the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. In addition, Albany Medical College has programmatic or specialized accreditation from:
- The Association for Pastoral Education, Inc., Accreditation Commission
- The Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs
- The Liaison Committee on Medical Education
Albany Medical College has internship and residency accreditation from the American Psychological Association, Commission on Accreditation.
Note that accreditation does not necessarily extend to all programs, so students should check with their advisors to see if their programs require and have accreditation.
- The school is full of many supportive people who genuinely care for each other. You just really need to join something that interests you and then you'll be able to find some great friends. People seem very chill for it being considered a top university. Definitely a calmer atmosphere compared to schools like Stanford and Berkeley.
- The university provides the best of both academics opportunities as well as extracurricular activities in order to help their students explore and/or grow their skills on a specific or variety of fields. Their goal is to get their students involved in what they love in order to grow and expand the students knowledge.
- Overall, I love being a student at USC. On campus, I am a research assistant, a newspaper writer, and a dancer on the competitive hip-hop team. I've met a wide variety of students at USC, some who astound me with their intelligence and hobbies. I love talking to my professors during their office hours. The downsides to being a USC student is that a lot of things are inordinately expensive, the tuition keeps rising (unnecessarily), and the area around it is not super nice.
- Albany Medical College: Albany, NY47 New Scotland Avenue, Mail Code 16, Albany, NY, 12208
- Albany Medical College: Online
Albany Medical College offers seven areas of study through its graduate studies departments and centers:
- Molecular and Cellular Physiology
- Regenerative and Cancer Cell Biology
- Immunology and Microbial Disease
- Neuroscience and Experimental Therapeutics
- Nurse Anesthesiology
- Physician Assistant Studies
Through these graduate and postdoctoral training programs, students gain access to innovative curriculum and a highly interactive and intimate training environment.
Albany Medical College Program Highlights: Physician Assistant Program
During the 2016-2017 school year, 42 of 75 students graduating with master’s degrees did so in Physician Assistant Studies, making the program one of the school’s most popular.iv In the program, students study subjects such as:
- Advanced anatomy
- Physical assessment
- Medical informatics
- Diagnostic methods
- Immunology and microbial disease
- Preventative health
- Research methods
These are just some of the many subjects students will study in the didactic portion of their program.
To meet Albany Medical College PA program requirements, students must complete four didactic terms, three clinical rotations, a portfolio, and a final exam. Typically, students complete the Albany Medical College PA program over 28 months of full-time study.
The Albany Medical College PA program ranking was #81 in U.S. News’ most recent ranking and has accreditation-Continued from the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant, Inc.