Gordon F. Derner Institute of Advanced Psychological Studies
Master of Arts in General Psychology
Postdoctoral Certificates: Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy, M.A. in General Psychology, Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology
Improving people’s lives is the essence of psychology. At Derner, we train skilled psychologists and counselors to be both scholars and practitioners. We ensure that our programs address the current and future needs of society, and we foster the critical reasoning skills and depth of understanding of human behavior that are critical for success in psychology and clinical practice.
WHY SHOULD I ENROLL IN ADELPHI’S M.A. IN GENERAL PSYCHOLOGY PROGRAM?
- You can gain broad-based preparation for a range of careers in research, healthcare, business and law, or to prepare for doctoral study.
- Your career opportunities include:
- Research in behavioral sciences
- Clinical care coordination
- Case management
- Substance abuse counseling
- Behavioral health administration
- Human resource management
- Graduates have also been admitted to law school and doctoral-level psychology, social work and mental health counseling programs.
- You can concentrate in key job market areas, including human resource management and substance abuse counseling (CASAC-T).
- You can focus on electives in forensic psychology.
- All classes are conveniently offered during the evening.
Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology
Since its founding in the 1950s as the first university-based professional school of clinical psychology, the Derner Institute has set the pace for doctoral-level training in the field. Derner’s Ph.D. program continues to be based on the scholar-practitioner model, and it has a long tradition of training students in psychodynamics and psychotherapy integration. Many of its faculty members and alumni are nationally and internationally recognized experts in the field.
WHY SHOULD I ENROLL IN ADELPHI’S CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGY DOCTORAL PROGRAM?
- The Derner Institute has set the pace in clinical psychology training—as the first university-based professional school, accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA) since 1957.
- You will pursue research and clinical training with faculty members who are known nationally and internationally for their expertise in a broad range of areas, including:
- Personality and interpersonal relations
- Psychopathology, especially anxiety, depression and trauma
- Psychodynamics—from classical to contemporary
- Psychotherapy integration, primarily cognitive behavioral, within a dynamic framework
- Cultural diversity and individual difference studies
- Derner students have the opportunity to gain clinical experience at urban and suburban clinics in Manhattan as well as two on Long Island (Garden City and Hempstead).
- Derner students can take advantage of a number of affiliated externships and internships.
Facts & Figures
Financial Aid: Yes
International Financial Aid: Yes
Average Cost per Credit (Graduate): 1005 USD
Classification: Doctoral/Research University—Intensive
Locale: Large Suburb