Fairleigh Dickinson University
M.A.T. Master of Arts in Teaching Grades Preschool through 12
1000 River Road T-KB1-01
Teaneck, NJ 07940
NJ Certification Grades Pre School -12, M.A.T. Secondary Education/NJ Certification Grades Preschool -12
The Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) is a graduate program in teacher preparation for individuals who have a baccalaureate degree in the liberal arts or sciences and a desire to enter the teaching profession. This program is designed to build upon a sound undergraduate academic foundation, as well as the student’s other educational and work-related experiences, to provide an efficient path to state teacher licensure. The program is rigorous in its curriculum and expectations, yet flexible in its scheduling to meet the needs of the graduate student who typically must balance formal coursework with other demands.
The M.A.T. requires completion of thirty-six (36) credits of which 22-24 credits meet the eligibility requirements for New Jersey teacher certification. Additional credits will be required for certification starting Fall 2018. State-approved certification programs are available in the following areas:
- Elementary Education (Grades K-6)
- Preschool Grade 3 (P-3)
- Middle School Endorsement (Grades 5-8)
- Secondary Education (Grades K-12)
- English as a Second Language (Grades K-12)
- Initial Teaching Certification and Teacher of Students with Disabilities (TSD), which requires 45 credits.
- Cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
- A passing score on all three sections of the Praxis I Core Academic Skills Exam. The chart below details the test code numbers and passing scores set by the NJ Dept. of Education as of Dec. 2014
Test Section NameCode Number Minimum Passing ScoreCore Academic Skills for Educators: Mathematics 5732 150Core Academic Skills for Educators: Reading 5712 156Core Academic Skills for Educators: Writing 5722 162
Passing score on the Praxis II test in the area of teaching responsibility. Students may be admitted conditionally and take up to 9 credits before they pass the Praxis I Core Academic Skills Exam and Praxis II test
Two letters of recommendation
Interview with a School of Education advisor
Additional certifications are available once you have completed your initial requirements. (Because New Jersey Department of Education requirements can change, go to The Official Website for The State of New Jersey for current requirements.)
NJ Certification is determined by:
- Successful completion of coursework with a 3.0 G.P.A.
- Successful experience of clinical experience and clinical practice.
- Passing the Praxis I Core Academic Skills Exam, which is required for admission
- Passing of Praxis II in chosen field of licensure
- Submission of EdTPA Portfolio for Fall 2017-Spring 2018; passing score on the EdTPA Portfolio starting Fall 2018
Accreditation:Fairleigh Dickinson University is accredited by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
Facts & Figures
Financial Aid: No
International Financial Aid: No
# of Credits Required: 36
Average Cost per Credit (Graduate): $1154.00 USD
Classification: Master's College or University I
Locale: Large Suburb
Size & Settings: 6,000-9,999