Fairleigh Dickinson University
University College - Metropolitan Campus
Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
1000 River Road T-KB1-01
Teaneck, NJ 07940
Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
The Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) degree program educates nurses for the highest level of clinically expert practice, including sophisticated diagnostic and treatment competencies. These competencies, combined with a focus on health promotion, disease prevention, and health education, prepare DNPs for leadership practice roles on the front line of their profession. Recognizing that advanced practice preparation requires education at the doctoral level, this program provides intra- and interdisciplinary collaboration in both the education and practice settings.
The 36 credit program offers 2 specialization tracks – clinical leadership and organizational leadership. The clinical leadership track prepares advanced practice nurses (APNs) for expert practice and the organizational leadership care track prepares graduates for leadership positions in organizational systems. The curriculum consists of twenty-four (24) credits of CORE requirements and twelve (12) credits of specialty focused courses. The residency requirement of 500 hours, offers the student the opportunity to work closely with mentors on projects that will demonstrate expanded practice and mastery of DNP competencies. All students must complete the program within 5 years.
There is also an Accelerated preBaccalaureate (BSN to DNP) Program and an Accelerated Post-Baccalaureate (MS to DNP) Program both with a focus in Gerontology.
A bridge program to the DNP for nurses with a Masters degree in another field is available.
The DNP program will follow the Executive educational model. Supplementary readings and assignments will be provided online. This format provides the opportunity for DNP students to complete three three-credit courses in one 16-week semester for full-time studies. Part-time students will follow the same format and complete six credits per semester. Attendance in all classes, practicum and activities is mandatory. In case of mitigating circumstances, the student has two options: 1. Deduct 20% from total grade in the course for each day missed. OR 2. Complete a makeup as assigned by course faculty.
- Master’s degree in advanced practice nursing from the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education – (CCNE) or National League for Nursing – (NLN) accredited program, or related field (i.e. MPH, MPA, MHA).
- GPA of 3.5
- Copies of Licensure as a Registered Nurse and Advanced Practice Nurse.
- Relevant experience in advanced practice nursing
- Three references attesting to the applicant’s academic ability and potential. One of the three must address the applicant’s practice potential.
- Interview and completion of a writing sample
- The program is offered under the auspices of the Henry Becton School of Nursing and Allied Health, University College: Arts and Sciences, Professional Studies, Metropolitan Campus, Teaneck, NJ.
Accreditation:Fairleigh Dickinson University is accredited by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
Facts & Figures
Financial Aid: No
International Financial Aid: No
# of Credits Required: 36
Average Cost per Credit (Graduate): $1236.00 USD
Classification: Master's College or University I
Locale: Large Suburb
Size & Settings: 6,000-9,999