Plymouth State University

College of Graduate Studies

Master of Education in Music Education, Instrumental Music


20 Highland Street 

MSC 11

Plymouth, IL 03301

United States





Program Information

Degrees Offered:

Master of Education in Music Education, Instrumental Music

Format: Campus

Program Description:

Plymouth State University's Master of Education in Music Education, with a concentration in Instrumental Music Education, will hone your teaching skills and musical abilities in preparation for a successful career as a school band director. Helping students perform as an ensemble as well as improve their individual musicianship is an integral and rewarding part of any education.

As a prospective music educator enrolled in an instrumental music education master's program, you'll focus on musical and academic issues pertaining to the multi-faceted responsibilities of band directors in public schools.

Your curriculum will consist of four core classes required of every PSU Master of Education candidate; fifteen credits focusing directly on music education, which includes participation in Plymouth State's annually-hosted New England Band Directors Institute; and, finally, a capstone component in which you put theory into practice through either a practicum experience, individual research, or graduate thesis.


This program is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).

International Student Requirements:

International students must have proof of English level proficiency through either the TOEFL, IELTS, or ELS Level 112 scores. In addition, you must provide an I-134 Affidavit of Financial Support Form. Documents, including bank statements and other financial documents dated within the past 30 days, that confirm you have the financial resources to study for a year at Plymouth State must be submitted to the College of Graduate Studies. You must also include a copy of your valid passport with your application materials. Finally, you must also submit official, notarized transcripts, verifying that you've completed at least a baccalaureate degree, which must be translated into English and evaluated for institutional equivalency.

Facts & Figures

Classification: Master's College or University I

Locale: Remote Town

Find Schools