The principal certification programs at Antioch University New England reflect AUNE’s forty-five year educational philosophy that the developmental and learning needs of children should lay at the heart of educational endeavors and that schools should be structured and run in a humanistic and democratic manner in order to serve these students.
We believe adults in a school must work collaboratively with one another and the broader community to meet the needs of the children in their charge so that all children have an opportunity to reach their highest potential. Our dedication to equity in education means that part of this charge is knowing that we must have a fierce and tireless commitment to reducing the predictive value of any demographic or individual barriers to school success for all of the students within our scope of responsibility.
The goals of the principal certification programs are aligned with New Hampshire state standards and the ISSLC standards for school leaders. These include:
- Setting a widely shared vision for learning.
- Developing a school culture and instructional program conducive to student learning and staff professional growth.
- Ensuring effective management of the organization, operation and resources for a safe, efficient and effective learning environment.
- Collaborating with faculty and community members, responding to diverse community interests and needs, and mobilizing community resources.
- Acting with integrity, fairness and in an ethical manner.
- Understanding, responding to and influencing the political, social, legal and cultural contexts.
Special Requirements for Admission
The state of New Hampshire requires applicants to this program to have at least 5 years experience as a classroom teacher in a public or private K-12 institution. Many technology integration, library media specialists, and guidance counselors also qualify. Please contact us if you are not sure whether you meet this requirement.
This post-masters program requires that you have already earned a masters degree in education or a related field. If you would like to earn your M.Ed while getting your administrative certification, Antioch also offers that option.