University of St. Thomas (MN)
The Saint Paul Seminary School of Divinity
Master of Divinity
2115 Summit Avenue
Saint Paul, MN 55105
Master of Divinity
The Master of Divinity (M.Div.) offers an extensive study of theology in relation to pastoral practice.It is a 90-credit program, offering a more intensive theological formation. As it includes a Clinical Pastoral Education requirement, it has become increasingly attractive to lay students as they move into positions of parochial leadership or chaplaincies.
Master of Divinity (M.Div.) Program Goals: Lay Program
The Master of Divinity program has the following goals:
- To foster the continuing development of the well-integrated person.
- To develop a continuous growth in a personal relationship with God, a life of service to the Church, and a commitment to the vocation of ministry.
- To enable students to mediate and articulate Catholic doctrine and life and to develop a commitment to lifelong theological study and learning.
- To prepare parish leaders with a comprehensive ministerial outlook who are ready to assume the duties that their service as pastoral leaders or other ecclesial ministers requires
Master of Divinity (M.Div.) Degree Requirements: Lay Program
To receive a M.Div. degree, the student must successfully complete:
- A minimum of 90 credits of coursework for lay students, with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher, including a supervised ministry placement and one unit of Clinical Pastoral Education at an accredited center.
- The requirements and evaluation process of the Lay Formation Program.
Master of Divinity (M.Div.) Admission Requirements: Lay Program
All candidates for admission must provide the following documentation when applying:
Original transcripts of all college or graduate work sent directly from the academic institution to the chair of the Admissions Committee, showing an earned bachelor’s degree from an accredited seminar
Accreditation:The Saint Paul Seminary School of Divinity of the University of St. Thomas is accredited by The North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, and The Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada.
Facts & Figures
Classification: Doctoral/Research University—Intensive
Locale: Large City
Size & Settings: 10,000-19,999