The Path to a better future is right in front of you
Graduate School of Health and Human Services
2500 Park Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55404
M. A. Marriage & Family Therapy
Enhance your understanding of intervention methods for individuals, couples, and families by earning the Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy. In this practitioner-based program, you will go through trained therapy simulations supervised by licensed professionals and explore topics that couples and families face throughout their lifespan, including grief and loss, adoption, the impact of trauma, hoarding, separation and divorce, military families, and more. Through your focus on human development and contemporary issues in marriage and family therapy, you'll emerge as a professional who's ready to help individuals, couples, and families become their best selves.
• Prepare for Licensure. The curriculum meets the educational requirements of the Minnesota Board of Marriage and Family Therapy for licensure as a Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT).
• Comprehensive Accredited Program. This program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE) of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT).
• "Portable" License to Practice. Most states base their educational requirements on COAMFTE standards. As a graduate of a COAMFTE-accredited program, your degree can more readily transfer across state lines to meet their requirements.
• "Best Midwestern College." The Princeton Review named Saint Mary's a top college in 2017.
• Two Cohorts Available Each Year.
• Fall Cohort
•Begins in late August
•Designed for working adults
•Courses are held on Monday and Tuesday evenings
•Takes nine semesters, or three years, to complete
• Summer Cohort
• Begins in early May
• Accelerated program
•Courses are held throughout the day and evening on Mondays
•Takes seven semesters, or 2.3 years, to complete.
The job market for Marriage and Family Therapists is booming. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, job opportunities within this field are expected to increase by 23 percent between 2016 and 2026, much faster than the average growth of all other positions.(Bureau of Labor Statistics)
When you graduate with your M.A. in Marriage and Family Therapy, you'll possess the knowledge and skills necessary to excel in settings including mental health centers, substance abuse treatment centers, outpatient care centers, and hospitals. These positions offer median salaries ranging from $44,760 in individual and family services organizations to $72,580 in state government facilities.(Bureau of Labor Statistics)
Financial Aid: Yes
International Financial Aid: Yes
# of Credits Required: 57
Classification: Master's College or University I
Loans Offered: Applicants may apply for loans by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). FAFSA Code: 002380
Locale: Distant Town
Size & Settings: 0-999