University of Michigan - Flint
School of Education and Human Services
Literacy Education (MA)
Master of Arts - Literacy Education
Literacy is crucial for success in school and in life. As a teacher, you know that without solid reading and writing skills, the teaching and learning of all other subjects becomes considerably more difficult – for teachers and students alike. UM-Flint’s Literacy K-12 (MA) program understands these realities too, and is designed to equip educators who have made literacy their mission with the latest knowledge, skills, and resources needed to achieve real results.
- UM-Flint’s Literacy Education program is developed for individuals who hold elementary or secondary teaching certificates, and offers courses that focus on issues and practices related to an integrated language arts curriculum.
- Literacy (MA) candidates engage with materials and ideas in practice to address the needs of learners from diverse backgrounds and school settings.
- The Literacy program is typically completed part-time over two years but offers the flexibility for you to take courses at your desired pace.
- Classes are held on UM-Flint’s campus, primarily in the evening, and in mixed-mode format.
- Course instructors are student-focused and most have doctoral degrees.
- Coursework fulfills Michigan’s PA32 requirement and aligns with the standards of the International Reading Association.
- The program includes clinical work with students in the UM-Flint School of Education and Human Services Reading Center.
- The program prepares you to take the MTTC to add the Reading Specialist (BR) endorsement to your Michigan teaching certificate.
- Graduates from the Literacy Education (MA) program who pass the MTTC are qualified to teach reading as a special subject and serve as building resource professionals (i.e., reading specialist or literacy coach).
Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
Facts & Figures
International Financial Aid:
Average Cost per Credit (Graduate):
Master's College or University I
Size & Settings: