University of Michigan - Flint
School of Education and Human Services
Early Childhood Education (MA)
MA - Early Childhood Education
Your passion for education and your passion for children are inseparable. To care deeply about one is to care deeply about the other, for you have taken to heart the critical truth about the nature of a child’s formative years as they relate to social, intellectual, and emotional development. The Early Childhood Education program was designed for you.
- UM-Flint’s Early Childhood Education program is developed for individuals who have or are seeking careers as teachers of young children, birth through eight years old.
- The program offers three tracks:
*Masters of Arts in Education – For early childhood education professionals who seek graduate study in their field, or for those seeking a career in early childhood education (including individuals with extensive backgrounds in child development who do not hold an elementary teaching certificate). This two-year, part-time program requires 33-36 credit hours.
*Master of Arts in Education with ZS Endorsement – Designed for certified teachers who seek graduate education in early childhood education and the ZS endorsement. This two-year, part-time program requires 33-36 credit hours including 6 credits of field experience.
Early Childhood (ZS) Endorsement – Appropriate for those holding an elementary certificate who desire the ZS endorsement. Requires 27 credit hours, including six credits of field experience.
Note: The endorsement program in Early Childhood Education can be pursued as part of the master's program in Early Childhood education or independently. However, to qualify for federal financial aid (including loans), one must be enrolled in the master's program.
- Thesis and non-thesis options are available for the MA in Education degree.
- Classes are held on UM-Flint’s campus, primarily in the evenings.
- Like all University of Michigan faculty, UM-Flint’s Early Childhood Education instructors are true “leaders and best” – experienced, tested, and respected experts in their field.
- UM-Flint’s Early Childhood Education program with ZS Endorsement prepares you to add the Early Childhood Education (ZS) endorsement to your Michigan teaching certificate.
- Students who earn their Early Childhood Education (MA) degree from UM-Flint develop extensive knowledge and real-world experience in their field as they prepare for careers working with young children.
Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
Facts & Figures
International Financial Aid:
Master's College or University I
Size & Settings: