Master of Arts in Liberal Studies - American Culture
The long-standing concentration in American Culture approaches studies in our national character, institutions, and themes from multiple disciplinary perspectives. The program enables students to examine their own experience in a meaningful context of American ideas. It addresses four major audiences:
- Encourage you to explore and critique issues important to American thought and culture, such as race, gender, equality, politics, religion, and popular culture;
- Give a meaningful context to your academic experience by offering a series of prescribed core courses which are enriched by your own choices of elective courses;
- Help you learn research methods and techniques and apply them in a thesis or research/creative project.
- Two-year, part-time program with evening courses
- Requires 30 credit hours (thesis option) or 36 credit hours (non-thesis option)
- The Master of Arts in Liberal Studies degree is offered through the world-renowned University of Michigan Rackham School of Graduate Studies.
- The city of Flint’s rich and diverse culture is an invaluable source of inspiration, information, and ideas. UM-Flint’s longstanding relationship with such community partners as the Flint Institute of Arts, Flint Institute of Music, Sloan Museum, and others provides our students with endless opportunities to explore new possibilities.
The MA in Liberal Studies prepares students for many career paths, including:
- community college instructors/administrators
- continuing graduate students preparing for doctoral study
- editors (i.e. newsletters, magazines, newspapers, journals, etc.)
- theatre production managers
- nonprofit CEOs and managers
- cultural center directors
- museum directors
- talent/entertainment/artist agentsrdless of your profession.
Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
Facts & Figures
Financial Aid: No
International Financial Aid: No
# of Credits Required: 30-36
Classification: Master's College or University I
Locale: Midsize City
Size & Settings: 6,000-9,999