Leveraging the strengths of Western New England University’s expertise in sport management and leadership education, the Master of Science in Sport Leadership and Coaching is a game-changing program. The 30-credit program offers two cohort tracks in Athletic Administration and Athletic Coaching. The program is taught by expert faculty from the University’s AACSB International accredited College of Business, nationally renowned Klein Group Instrument (KGI®) leadership creator, and Management and Leadership faculty. The program offers a convenient learning model consisting of two required one-week residencies, one offered at the beginning of the program and the other at the end. Each residency will be followed by a series of graduate courses that will be offered online with optional in-class sessions.
Why Choose Master of Science in Sport Leadership and Coaching?
The MS in Sport Leadership and Coaching is ideal for students seeking to enter athletic administration (educationally-based sport organizations), athletic coaching, or managerial positions within any sport organization. The program is also a great choice for rising and mid-career sport industry professionals who are seeking to advance their skills in the areas of leadership, decision-making, team building, fundraising, marketing, legal and compliance aspects, and related functional competencies. Our program will help students develop the skills to build and manage a team, assess and recruit talent, and to create a high performing business enterprise that supports organizational and individual success. View our current tuition rates and residency fees.
What Will You Study?
Viewing the sport organization as a business enterprise, coursework is focused on:
- Leadership theory, personal leadership assessment, directed leadership development mentoring based on the Klein Group Instrument (KGI) model of positive social psychology, and team dynamics
- Organizational theory and team behavior
- Data-based decision making and problem solving sport analytics
- Revenue development elements including fundraising, sponsorship, and related traditional and non-traditional sport revenue streams
- Evaluation and development of on-field and administrative teams through theoretical constructs and models related to management and recruitment of player and team personnel, including player evaluation and representation through sport agencies
- International sport and cross cultural perspectives
- Innovative strategies for sport marketing, sport sales, and promotions
- Legal aspects of sport, governance, oversight, compliance, and ethical dimensions
- A mentored capstone research project and linked field experience
The best business schools in the world are accredited by AACSB International—The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. Western New England University is the only private institution in western Massachusetts accredited by AACSB International and among fewer than 5% of business schools in the world to hold this accreditation.