Mount St. Mary's University
School of Education & Human Services
Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT)
16300 Old Emmitsburg Road
Emmitsburg, MD 21727
Mount St. Mary's University's Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) is unique because it is tailored for the prospective teacher who holds an undergraduate degree in a major other than education.
The MAT degree makes it possible to transition into teaching as a profession.
This 36 credit program is unique in that it provides an educational foundation for a professional to transition into the teaching career.
M.A.T. programs include certifications in one of the following areas:
• Art Education
• Elementary Education (grades 1-6)
• Elementary/Special Education
• Music Education
• Secondary Education (grades 7-12)
Individuals wishing to apply for admission in the MAT program must submit:
- Completed application; Apply online
- Nonrefundable $35 application fee; Checks made payable to Mount St. Mary's University
- Undergraduate transcript(s) from an accredited four-year institution
- Two letters of recommendation; Download guidelines
- Praxis 1-Academic Skills Assessment Maryland qualifying scores (or other equivalent such as SAT, GRE, GMAT, ACT). In addition, certain secondary candidates must submit qualifying scores for PRAXIS II Content Knowledge Maryland passing scores
- Admission portfolio
Accreditation:Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, Middle States Commission on Higher Education
Facts & Figures
Average Cost per Credit (Graduate): $480