Graduate Certificate in Educational Leadership for Independent Schools
This graduate certificate program serves the needs of directors, heads of schools, principals, and other professionals responsible for the management of independent schools. The certificate program comprises 15 graduate credits with the option of applying them to the 33-39 credit Master of Science in Education degree with a concentration in Educational Studies.
Graduates of the program will be able to:
- Gain a deep understanding of school budgets, general principles of budget development, and strategies for communicating budgetary issues to their constituencies.
- Develop budgets for their schools that support faculty and staff in meeting their instructional goals.
- Communicate effectively to various stakeholders including boards of directors, families and staff.
- Become more proficient supervisors and professional developers with teachers and staff.
- Become more competent consumers and producers of research that is relevant to their jobs.
- Function more effectively and sensitively with faculty, students, staff, parents, and communities of diverse cultures and socioeconomic status.
- Enhance and refine their management skills, including supervision of personnel, strategic planning, conflict management, and fund raising.
- Improve their application of policy and laws to problems or issues that emerge.
- Become competent instructional leaders through the analysis and use of data about their schools and their communities.
- Build proficiency in the use of technology for instruction and administration.
- Become effective mentors and supervisors for their faculty and staff.
- Work effectively as part of a team and develop teams of teachers who provide participatory and democratic leadership to the school.
Note: Applicants to this certificate program must be educational professionals employed in a K-12 independent school.
Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, Middle States Commission on Higher Education
Facts & Figures
Financial Aid: Yes
International Financial Aid: No
# of Credits Required: 15
Average Cost per Credit (Graduate): 774 USD
Classification: Doctoral/Research University—Extensive
Locale: Large City
Size & Settings: 20,000-39,999