Graduate Studies and Continuing Education
English Studies & Communication
M.A. English Studies & Communication
This 37 credit program is designed for international and U.S. students wanting to develop their understanding and skills related to the English language, English literature, and English communication. The program has three primary goals: to develop (1) a deeper understanding of and proficiency in the English language through the studies of the history of English, American literature, and cultures of writing; (2) written and oral English language communication skills; and (3) an appreciation of American literary and cultural traditions.
This program may be particularly useful for:
1. Current English teachers in the USA and foreign countries who want to elevate their overall English language and literature skills for the purpose of teaching English;
2. English majors in other countries who want to improve their general proficiency in the English language for us in business or industry;
3. International students with a bachelor's degree in a non-English major but who want to enhance their English verbal communication and writing skills;
4. Those with a bachelor's degree in English who want to pursue Ph.D. study in English or the other humanities;
5. Those wanting to prepare for teaching English abroad;
6. Those wanting to obtain a general master's degree in the area of the humanities (e.g., for teaching at community colleges).
International Student Requirements:
Minimum TOEFL score of 550
Facts & Figures
Master's College or University I