Ed.D. in Curriculum Studies
This doctoral degree program consists of work in five areas:
(1) CURRICULUM STUDIES CORE - The Core intertwines the theoretical, ethical, and historical concepts underpinning curriculum work with advanced theories of design, development, and implementation.
(2) RESEARCH AND INQUIRY CORE - This portion of the program is designed to create scholars who might apply their knowledge base to the solving of problems encountered in daily education work.
(3) ADVANCED DOCTORAL CORE(with certification/non-certification options) - Students choose either advanced pedagogy coursework or advanced Curriculum Studies coursework.
(4) EMPHASIS AREA - The program offers four interdisciplinary emphasis areas covering a broad terrain of scholarly inquiry and educational application:
i. Cultural Curriculum Studies
This emphasis area provides intensive exposure to critical aspects of the Curriculum Studies field. It also centers on the study of popular culture in its many manifestations and the implications of the ways in which the study of these educational sites impact the social construction of identity and the intersections of popular culture on pedagogy and curriculum theory.
ii. Instructional Improvement
This emphasis area meets the needs of many practicing professionals including curriculum directors, staff development personnel, instructional coordinators, high school department chairs, and lead teachers as well as others in teaching or administrative positions at the P-12 level or in higher education.
iii. Multicultural/International Studies
This emphasis area reflects the growing importance of multicultural and international studies at all levels of education. The emphasis area allows examination of the needs of culturally diverse groups, the relationship between culture and academic achievement, and the nature of international schooling.
iv. Teaching and Learning
This emphasis area, which combines theory and practice, provides a critical examination of enduring and contemporary issues, reform efforts, and practices associated with the teaching and learning process.
(5) DISSERTATION - Requires a minimum of 9 semester hours
International Student Requirements:
International Students who have not earned a degree at an institution of higher education in the United States must also submit the results of the TOEFL Examination.
Facts & Figures
Financial Aid: Yes
International Financial Aid: Yes
# of Credits Required: 63
Average Cost per Credit (Graduate): 295 USD
Classification: Master's College or University I
Locale: Remote Town
Size & Settings: 10,000-19,999