School of Graduate Studies
1120 15th Street
Augusta, GA 30912
Doctor of Philosophy with a Major in Nursing
The PhD in Nursing Program prepares nurse scientists for research-intensive academic careers. The program emphasizes interdisciplinary knowledge development and dissemination through biobehavioral nursing research. This PhD program is designed for advanced students interested in working closely with faculty mentors in nursing and related disciplines within the context of established programs of research.
The program prepares graduates to:
• Critically evaluate behavioral and biological theories of health and illness.
• Generate, test, and extend knowledge of linkages between behavioral and biological dimensions of health and illness.
• Design basic and clinical nursing studies to investigate behavioral and biological phenomena within a selected area.
• Participate in interdisciplinary approaches to generate and apply scientific knowledge.
• Apply leadership strategies to address ethical, political, economic, and socio-cultural issues in nursing.
Students accepted into the program will be considered for Graduate Research Assistantship (GRA), which includes financial support and a reduced tuition rate of $25/semester, and single-person health insurance coverage through the GRU Student Group Health Insurance plan. A limited number of GRA packages will be awarded on a competitive basis to applicants with exemplary qualifications.
Financial Aid: Yes
Classification: Doctoral/Research University—Extensive
Locale: Midsize City
Size & Settings: 6,000-9,999